Friday, March 31, 2006


Condi Rice Visits Blackburn (UK) And The Best Blackburn Has To Offer Is Curry???
As I was driving in to the train station this morning, I was listening to BBC news on the radio. Sort of absentmindedly paying attention to the news, when this item got me smiling.
Condi Rice is visiting UK, and will be visiting Blackburn (near Liverpool) which is the British secretary Jack Straw’s home constituency. This is more of a return visit since Condi hosted Jack at her Birmingham, AL home. So the radio host was going on about what Rice would do there. He asked the reporter what Blackburn would have to offer to Rice. The reporter in his British accent says “Well Blackburn is really known for quite the wide and best assortment of curries that Britain has to offer and unlike curry houses that are open only till 11PM, the ones in Blackburn stay open pretty late (4 am?)”

Being of Indian descent I was plainly tickled by this really. I mean the American Secretary of State is visiting Britain and one of the main attractions the town she is visiting has to offer is Curry? LOL. They aren't really known for their food anyways.. with the exception of fish n chips..yum!

Another part of the interview that I found amusing was when the same reporter went around to a pub asking of they knew who Condi Rice was. Two of the responses for ya –
- Is she the American vice president? (That’s an upgrade from Dick “I shot a man in the face” Cheney).. Oh the tyranny of low expectations we have set for ourselves.
- Is she a secretary of some sort to the President of the US?

That made my morning. Clueless people abound the world over, it’s not just us Americans. But then being number #1 in the world does carry it’s own share of responsibilities, which I don’t think all of us here get.
Happy friday and have a good weekend!

12 comments:

Viewer said...

Well its a typical indian combo (Condi)Rice and Curry....LOL

enjoy ur weekend !

karmic_jay said...

hehe viewer good one..

Silvs said...

Rice and curry! .. lol

It must be Friday ..

Paramendra Bhagat said...

Long War
Iraq Intel: The Spy Who Failed Me
The Larger WMD Question And Iran
Complicated Iraq

nerine said...

saw your comments to a friend's blog and am now enjoying yours.

it is a funny/sad that Rice was stuck with curry from a no name food country. especially since indian curry is so much better!

Mr. J said...

What has the world come to..

karmic_jay said...

Paramendra, will check out your links.
Nerine, Welcome. Glad that you liked the place.
Thanks

Candace said...

Oh I love curry! It has to beat native English food, LOL. My dad lived in India as a kid and made lots of ggod curries for us. :o)

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money

alaska job bank said...

I am here because of search results for blogs with a related topic to mine.
Please,accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
I have a alaska job bank site.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

aa travel advice said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my aa travel advice site.
Good luck in your endeavors!