Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What's A Bagel?


Since some of the readers were unfamiliar with a bagel, here is some information for them courtesy of wikipedia. More info about it -
"The bagel (or sometimes beigel) is a bread product traditionally made of yeasted wheat dough in the form of a roughly hand-sized ring which is boiled in water and then baked. The result is a dense, chewy, doughy interior with a browned and sometimes crisp exterior.
The dough may also be flavored to produce many varieties: salt, onion, garlic, egg, pumpernickel, rye, sourdough, whole wheat, multigrain, cinnamon-raisin, cheese, caraway, blueberry, and muesli among others. Bagels may be topped with seeds such as poppy or sesame, which are baked onto the outer crust."
The bagel is Eastern European in it's origin. More information here. People eat their bagels plain or toasted with butter, cream cheese, eggs, sausage, lox.
I hated eating the bagel at first but it probably was cos I had purchased it in th emorning and it sat in my backpack all day and was probably stale. Oh well all that changed with my second experience, and since then it has become a staple of my mornings. And yes I miss bagels when I visit India. Although as the following link or a google search would show you once can get them in India now, I can't wait to try one when I visit just to see how it compares. Although not sure if I would eat it like the way it looks below? But hey I am a foodie so why not!

5 comments:

Keshi said...

Bagles r yummmy altho I dun eat em often...there's a Bagel shop ard the corner and u would just love the variety they have :) Simply amazing!


My fav bagles r the sweet ones...sugary ones :)


Keshi.

Aditi said...

Bagels in india, I will have to look them up. Hmm

opinionatedinjerzee said...

i used to eat alot of bagels before.. before all this cutting back on carbs thing came about.. now i just have a slice of wheat toast.. that fills me up now too!!

Destitute Rebel said...

OH Bagels, I havent even found a good bagel place in Dubai. I used to love bagels in the US. Miss them a lot, so many foods I miss. Bagels, pretsels, Outback steakhouse, just to name a few.

MAKHTUB said...

thanks KJ

What we get here in India I think somehwat close to are buns, the std brand i dont know if u know em are WIBS buns...


i like them too, depends on my mood though