Thursday, April 06, 2006

Geeky Friday Post.....
Not really.. just my pathetic excuse for being too friggin tired to write anything more, but hey you gotta say a housefly with glasses is kinda cool or just too freaky...


From the National Geographic -
March 28, 2006—Pampering pets with designer goods isn't so unusual—and now even your houseflies can get outfitted in style.

An entry in a German science-photo competition, this image shows a fly sporting a set of "designer" lenses crafted and set in place with a cutting-edge laser technique. The glasses fit snuggly on the fly's 0.08-inch-wide (2-millimeter-wide) head.

Manufacturing firm Micreon GmbH submitted the insect's picture for the Bilder der Forschung (Photos of Science) 2005 competition. Selected images were on display last week in a Munich shopping center.

Micreon, based in Hannover, Germany (see map), created the fly's eyewear using ultrafast laser micro-machining. The firm notes on its Web site that the process can create objects with high precision at scales of less than a thousandth of a millimeter.

Nanotech, we are getting there slowly but surely. I am not sure we know exactly where this will lead us. Benfits will be there for sure, but it's a double edged sword. More later may be if I get time and feel like typing up my thoughts while on the train in the morning.

9 comments:

Anand said...

What the hell is wrong with the world!
Dont people have better ways of spending their money and time!
I mean leave those poor insects alone and if they have extra money then why not buy me an extra pair of goggs instead of the insect!

Keshi said...

Insects in fashion ha? lol!

I think the world in going bonkers!

Keshi.

Aditi said...

Unrelated to your post, but I just saw the link on the right about the rising costs in Iraq, phenomenal (and in a geeky way cool), how much it went up in the minute or two i was at the site.

karmic_jay said...

LOL@ Anand. Thanks for stopping by. I think it's more of a technology demo, but ya poor fly what did it do to deserve this?

Keshi.. ya it is, humans are rather unique in how we can screw up things.

Thanks Aditi. It's just some javascript code that I copied and pasted. Anyone can do that. Amazing eh? We already spent a close to 300 billion. I think it will be a trillion before we are done. Present and future genrations of Americans will be working hard to pay those debts off.

Mr. J said...

Wow.. that fly sure looks neat, especially with those designer stuff.

Crazy crazy world. :p

Silvs said...

listen! that fly is creeping me out!! I don't know why .. but it is!! ewwwww!

Chai Anyone? said...

ok now thats just pathetic

Id it is said...

We live in a world where poodles have salon appointments! Designer gear is the next step...I guess.
What next is the question!

Anonymous said...

Very nice! I found a place where you can
make some nice extra cash secret shopping. Just go to the site below
and put in your zip to see what's available in your area.
I made over $900 last month having fun!
make extra money