Friday, April 14, 2006

The Lovely Tobacco Companies...


Philip Morris is threatening legal action over the sale of a "Smoking Baby" doll--but not because the tobacco giant is offended by the thought of an infant lighting up, but rather because the diapered cigarette enthusiast appears to be enjoying a trademarked Marlboro.

In an April 7 letter to Toy Lounge, an online retailer, Philip Morris attorneys contend that the $5.95 ceramic doll comes equipped with a pack of cigarettes bearing a "logo confusingly similar" to Marlboro's "roof design," which is further described as "a pentagonal figure with a horizontal top and two vertical sides with two upwardly and inwardly sloping diagonals."

Link at the smoking gun

It's been a busy busy week, people out on vacation, deadlines to meet. I feel totally spent. Hope I have the energy to post on the weekend. :-)

5 comments:

~River~ said...

That baby looks kinda weird, doesn't it? ~:-S

Mr. J said...

Sure is a boring weekend. :(

karmic_jay said...

lol. ya river, tobacco tends to do that. ;)
Me.. sigh...

Brad said...

If I were required to take sides, I would go with the Tobacco guys! Legally speaking, I think they are right. I read the publicly displayed letter, and the contents thereof, hence my thoughts.

Would you agree with me!?

Keshi said...

Marlboro or not, smoking is harmful to health :)

keshi.