Monday, April 03, 2006

Manic Monday…..

I had two good weekends without any of my “weekend” headaches. Yes I only get weekend headaches. Based on my conversations with friends and colleagues, these must be stress headaches, since they happen only on the weekends, once the stress of the week has passed . An additional observation, they also appear to happen when I have a relaxed Sunday with nothing planned.
Heh! That’s exactly what happened this Sunday. I woke up with a bad headache, feeling slightly nauseous. Well it was time to pop that sinus/allergy headache pill again and back to bed. I woke up just to eat a bite and was out till 4:30 pm. That was when I felt normal again. Well then was the next fun part, doing our state income taxes. Took a couple of hours and that was that. Sunday gone kaput!
I have to say I enjoyed watching “Inside Man”. There was a movie that held my attention. Denzel Washington who plays a NYC detective was great as usual he is just such a smooth, effortless actor. Jodie Foster was good too except she had a small role and I thought not enough opportunities to display her considerable talents. I don’t think she even smiled during the movie, she has her usual Jodie Foster expressions (pursed lips). Movie had a great plot, Clive Owen was good too. There have been a lot of bank heist movies but this one had a twist, in that the bank robbers were really not after the considerable amount of cash in the vault. They were after something that belonged to the chairman of the bank, not of a huge monetary value. And Jodie Foster plays this sort of “person you go to when you need things done and don’t want to leave a trail”. Jodie is hired by the chairman of the bank played by Christopher Plummer, who is worried that the document would fall in to the wrong hands. What is left unexplained is how Jodie has that influence with the Mayor of NYC to get herself injected in to the scene of the crime. The bank robbers have been surrounded by the cops and taken whoever is in the bank as hostages. I am not going to give away some of the surprises in the movie.
One other thing about the movie is the music as the titles and credits roll. It was a Indian/Indi pop score “Chaiyya Chaiyya” . I subsequently found out that it is an A.R. Rehman song. Good beats and all but did not quite jive with the movie in anyway.
The movie had great dialog including the following by a Sikh character, who is a bank employee and is released by the bank robbers. As the cops drag him off his turban comes off and he protests his initial arrest as he is just a hostage. Then as Denzel and company are interrogating him, he complains about his problems.. being profiled at airports, on trains and anywhere he goes. I thought Denzel’s comeback at him was good. He says “But I am sure you don’t have a problem getting a cab though do you”. I thought it was a dig also at the fact that cab drivers will often hesitate to pick up black customers.
The movie is shot in NYC and most of the cab drivers are South Asian, people familiar with this would get the joke. A lot of people in the theatre did get it.
Good movie overall I thought.

11 comments:

Silvs said...

Maybe i'm stressed as well. Because Sat night I went to sleep at 6:30 and last night at 4:30 I was in bed unable to sleep. but during the week i sleep fine.

karmic_jay said...

Silvs, ye. From your posts you do sound a bit stressed. But stress or not, I always sleep well. Ahhh the mysteries of our bodies and minds.

opinionatedinjerzee said...

maybe you like to be busy working.. and when you have nothing to do, you get headaches! just my 2 cents.. but i know what you mean about the allergy meds.. i am so light headed right now!!

i really wanted to see that movie this weekend but again never got a chance!! oh well, maybe next week!!

Mr. J said...

Hhhhhmm.... stress all around.

Viewer said...

Hope to see the movie whever it realeases here ...

Headaches on weekend ? unusal... mostly its headaches on mondays :P

karmic_jay said...

LOL.. Ya Me.. stress all around. Except if you see me, you would never know I was stressed and frankly I don't feel that way either.
Viewer. ya manic mondays. May be I react differently. I must have something in my code..
If condition = stress and dayofweek = Sat/Sun.. release stress!

Candace said...

Blah - weekend headaches are no fun at all!

Inside Man sounds like a movie I want to see. :o)

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

karmic_jay said...

Candace...thanks for stopping by.

Keshi said...

I love ChaiyyaChaiiya :)...must watch it then...


hopefully u wont suffer from anymore headaches for weeks to come :)


Keshi.

~River~ said...

I've been getting these damn headaches too. It's the Delhi summer. April always does this to me.

Anonymous said...

Very nice template and information here! :-) #air image ionic purifier sharper#