Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Jogging Trail And Some Pictures


So I finally managed to have a flickr account set up and uploaded some pictures to it as well. I should upload more when I get more time and when I get some of the pictures from the analog SLR developed. I still use the old SLR as the pictures are a lot better. I also hope to upgrade to a digital SLR at some point as I should just be able to port my lens to the new digital SLR.

So I had few hours to kill in New Haven as *A* was off to see her friends and colleagues. I decided to use the time to go for a jog along my old jogging trail in New Haven/Hamden. It was an overcast and dark day, not too humid though. But then I sweat a lot anyways so after a while it makes little difference. Whitney avenue begins in New Haven from near the historic green and thru the city and the neighboring town of Hamden. This where I usually used to run, about a 3-4 mile stretch in all depending on the weather and how I felt. I usually began near the fire house near the science hill neighborhood and then ran north to lake Whitney and around it and back. The route back would occasionally involve a detour through the East Rock Park, which has good trails, streams and loops over and back over the Mill River of which Whitney lake is a part of. Jogging thru the woods has its own charms it is quieter has fewer people and no automobiles. It’s nice to sometimes just hear yourself breathe and feel the heart pound and listen to the body’s rhythm. I have always been a slow runner more of a rhythm person than speed. I place the blame on the twin altars of a bad knee and a lungs that are not great at high speed (may be cos I was a sickly kid right in to my teens?).

I set off to run and felt good and continued along the trail stopping for an occasional picture. I also passed the spot where I had a good slip on an icy patch and landed on my butt. No harm done though.The area aroundthe park and dam is really good. I don’t think the pictures do it complete justice. There are a couple of uphill stretches and at the end of one you just come up and see the lake on your right. This is always been a sight I loved, something to lift you up just as you finish the uphill stretch. The path thru the park is good too. As you come down you see the dam on your right (water from the lake is again going to be a part of the city water supply) and you pass under a covered bridge and in to the woods. There were several ways to loop back towards the always gracious Cecile who we stayed with. I took some more pictures of neighborhood stores where we preferred to shop, that is itself food for another post and pictures.
All in all it was a day well spent.

PS: To those of you with a problem in getting to the flickr site via the flash animated link, here is a simple link.

12 comments:

Keshi said...

Jay it sounds like u had a wonderful jog amidst beautiful scenery...nice pic too!

Keshi.

Eli said...

Digital SLRs are gooood for you.

Aditi said...

Great pics.. it must be nice to jog along a trail like that
=)

Dadoji said...

Mill River IMG_0209 reminded me of Cambridge University and River Cam. The covered bridge of course reminded me of Cedar Bridge (Bridges of Madison County). Funny because just a few minutes ago I left a comment on aditi's blog about the same bridge.

karmic_jay said...

Thks Keshi.

Eli.. Ya, I wish I had the $$ for the SLR now.
@Aditi yep. Where we cuirrently live I have yet to find something like that. Right now I run on a circular track in a state park in DE, not the same.


Dadoji, I have to find my pics from Vermont and get them digitized. We did a trip where we covered 17 covered bridges, eacjh one unique an beautiful in it's own way.

Teri said...

Those are great pictures.

I run slowly too - ran track in high school, and I was slow then, too. :) I guess I guess I'm just slow. I used to love running - probably still would if I was in better shape.

opinionatedinjerzee said...

nice pic.. funny i have only been to ct once and it didnt look like that!

karmic_jay said...

@Teri.. Thanks. Hard to keep up routines, esp as time goes by.

@ Opin. CT is amazing in that you get out of the urban areas and the look of the state changes. If you get a chance do visit western CT its lovely all over.

~River~ said...

Congratulations on starting the flikr account. I have been meaning to do the same, but have been too lazy. The pics were lovely--green and relaxing.

karmic_jay said...

River thanks. :) It's pretty easy to get flickr going.

Blue Athena said...

Heavenly pics! :)

Id it is said...

Nice pictures, and thanks for recommending those two books; one of them has been on my wish list for sometime.