Monday, August 21, 2006

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream



My adventures with the ice cream make continue. *A* suggested that I either make a strawberry or a peach ice cream since they are in season and all. We did our version of a coin flip and came up with strawberry. So here is the recipe it really did turn out to be delicious.

The recipe is from "Ice Creams & Sorbets" By Lou Seibert Pappas

  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 and 1/4 lb, fresh strawberries, hulled
  • 1/2 cup half and half or milk (I used half n half)
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sugar divided
  • 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

  • On a water bath heat the cream and half n half over simmering water until steaming.
  • In a bowl beat the egg yolks until blended, then whisk in 1/2 cup of the sugar.
  • Whisk in about half the hot cream, keep mixing thru this process.
  • Gently pour the entire yolk mix in to the remaining cream while stirring.
  • Stir and cook over simmering water until the custard coats the back of a spoon (abt 10 mins).
  • Immediately place the custard pan in an ice bath and still occasionally till it gets to room temperature.
  • Meanwhile in a bowl mash the strawberries, sprinkle with a remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the lime juice and allow to stand until the sugar dissolves. Stir in to the custard and transfer to a container.
  • Chill for about the 3 hours.
  • Pour into the ice cream machine (following your manufacturer's instructions).
  • I left it in for about 6 hours in the freezer in the ice cream bowl, before transferring it to a regular container.




This really turned out well. *A* approves. I think the fresh strawberries made all the difference. Also none of the chemicals and other stabilizers and all that stuff commercially available ice cream has.

Cute!


A New Way To Move Beer?

23 comments:

Intern said...

Interesting ...

and honestly the *flower photos* in previous post got me more into commenting. The first flower [red] is Geranium ..., the second [lavender-pink] is Daylily ... the third as you wrote is rose .

Aditi said...

Interesting on the beer bag..who would drink that then?
I refused to read your recipe beyond the picture of those fresh strawberries.. it just looked too yummie
=(

Aditi said...

Yep even then

Ash said...

The beer bag shot is SO interesting! You always find the most amazing pictures ;-)

Dadoji said...

I scream I don't like ice-cream.

*covers ears and hums loudly*
*releases ears, covers eyes and types furiously*

Mr. J said...

Wow, that ice cream looks so damn tasty... And wow, Beer bags ;)

karmic_jay said...

Intern thanks.. someone did tell me they were Day Lillys.

@Aditi.. Aww.

@Ash.. Thks I wish I was able to take lovely pics like you do.

@Dadoji.. lol this will be the last of that till the end of next week I think.

@me.. yep.

vibhor said...

yummy yaar...hey hey
not that ice-cream im talking abt that beer...
uhhhh...wanna have that full bag..

Keshi said...

**Also none of the chemicals and other stabilizers and all that stuff commercially available ice cream has.

thats the best part. Now when will I get to taste ur superb ice-cream Jay? :(


lol @beer pic!


Keshi.

karmic_jay said...

LOL@vibhor.. man I haven't had a beer in ages, and that picture just made me crave for more.

@Keshi.. If you visit the US, come over and you will get sample some of our cooking.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Ummm yummy. Strawberry has always been my fav flavor. Always. Although sometimes I pick mint choc chip over it. But its an all time fav.

Mona Buonanotte said...

How would one drink a bag of beer? I mean, is it like doing a beer chug, where you poke a hole in the side and then drinkdrinkdrink until it's gone? Maybe a long straw you stick in the top? Now if they only put a live goldfish in there, now THAT would be something!

starry nights said...

I just felt like helping myself to a scoop of that yummy ice cream.looked delicious. That beer ad was too much..cute.

karmic_jay said...

@Mona..lol You are so eeeevilll!

@Starry.. help yourself to seconds too ;)

Viewer said...

Ur weekend cooking makes me drool :D Sorry cudnt visit ur blog for some time was busy .. How are u ?

karmic_jay said...

@viewer. I am fine thanks. How's you?

Shitrint said...

DAMN!!!!
ill hav to stop coming here if u always post such yummy things ka pics!!!
DAMN DAMN DAMN!!
:((

im hungry im hungry im hungry!!
im angry im angry im angryyyyyy!!
:D
:P

karmic_jay said...

lol@shitrint.. No more food posts for the rest of the week. Help yourself to a scoop of ice cream though.

Keshi said...

tnxx :)

Keshi.

chandni said...

:( I want some of that ice cream!

wish I'd taken full advantage when I was in New York :)

ishita said...

i want an ice cream maker!! :(

i luv strawberries...i want that ice cream now!!!:(

*sigh*

the pics are fun as always but the ice cream pic is d best!:)

m makin a folder to save d recipes u put up here (i have several of other desserts/dishes)...its a hobby...collecting recipes (not that i make all of it but sumtimes wen i really want to experiment...it helps!)....:)

Varsha said...

lovely recipe.....deliciou looking ice cream!!

interesting beer "bags"

what a cute kiddo!!!!

Varsha said...

ok *delicious.....

Where do you capture the lovely pics from?!!?