The other day while waiting at the train station I looked across to this place selling icecream and gelatos. It was tempting being hot and all, but I decided to pass. Anyways my thoughts turned to wondering about how much fun it might be to try to make our own icecream.
Our friends the lovely B & M visited us this weekend and came bearing house-warming gifts. Voila! You can imagine our joy when it turned out be an ice cream machine, with a great recipe book included!
Thanks guys! A great gift that will be deeply treasured like your friendship.
So as soon as this post is typed up, I am off to clean it and set it up for my first shot at homemade icecream. Enough of the summer left to try out a few recipes me thinks in the coming days.
I am always amazed at *A* and how she can get creative with food. We made a few things for dinner with B & M. One of which was
an appetizer with a medley of purple and yellow potatos.
Pretty easy to make.
- Boil some purple and yellow potatos after slicing them into halves. Peel after they have cooled.
- Cut into smaller pieces.
- In a pan throw in some oil, cut a green chilly into small pieces toss that in.
- *A* then tossed in something she calls "Panch Fodan", it's a mix 5 different seeds/spices . It consists of fennel seeds, yellow mustard seeds, Fenugreek, Cumin and Carraway (kalonji) seeds. She threw in a spoonful of this mix.
- Toss in the potatos as the mustard starts popping and roast them for a couple of minutes.
- Add salt to taste. After it has cooled down a bit serve on wheat (or other) crackers of your choice. I have never had this before, they turned out to be very yummy. Pic below.