Thursday, August 17, 2006

Is Our Media Waking Up?

(For the non political types..skip over this there is more below)

Well it is too early, but *A* mentioned the Friedman column to me and then I also happend to come across this diary on dailykos.

That said, though, the Democratic mainstream is nowhere near as dovish as critics depict. Truth be told, some of the most constructive, on-the-money criticism over the past three years about how to rescue Iraq or improve the broader “war on terrorism” has come from Democrats, like Joe Biden, Carl Levin, Hillary Clinton, John Kerry and Bill Clinton.
But whatever you think of the Democrats, the important point is this: They are not the party in power today.


Mr. Cheney, if we’re in a titanic struggle with Islamic fascists, why have you and President Bush resisted any serious effort to get Americans to conserve energy? Why do you refuse to push higher mileage standards for U.S. automakers or a gasoline tax that would curb our imports of oil? Here we are in the biggest struggle of our lives and we are funding both sides — the U.S. military with our tax dollars and the radical Islamists and the governments and charities that support them with our gasoline purchases — and you won’t lift a finger to change that. Why? Because it might impose pain on the oil companies and auto lobbies that fund the G.O.P., or require some sacrifice by Americans.

Mr. Cheney, if we’re in a titanic struggle with Islamic fascists, why do you constantly use the “war on terrorism” as a wedge issue in domestic politics to frighten voters away from Democrats. How are we going to sustain such a large, long-term struggle if we are a divided country?
Please, Mr. Cheney, spare us your flag-waving rhetoric about the titanic struggle we are in and how Democrats just don’t understand it. It is just so phony — such a patent ploy to divert Americans from the fact that you have never risen to the challenge of this war. You will the ends, but you won’t will the means. What a fraud!


Since the diarist say it a lot better than me, I will quote...

I have a few questions for Thomas Friedman as well.
Why did you support pre-emptive war when you knew it was illegal?
Why did you keep writing column after column about what a great idea the invasion was?
Why did it take you so long, with all your trips to the mideast you brag about to figure out what I knew sitting on my ass here in Austin- that this would be a cluster***?
Why did someone so well travelled think that a semi-literate rube like Bush would understand the nuances of international law?
Honestly, George Will and Pat Buchanan and Thomas Friedman who all realize what a mess this is, why did any of you think we could spread democracy with tanks?


I remember having discussions at work with a couple of republicans, I mentioned to them the risk of an insurgency if we did not handle the post-war phase well.
Of course these morons messed that up, I mean if some of us on predicted this, why could "well traveled and world wise" journalists like Friedman and his like not see it?

Conversations With John (Part Deux)….

Conversation 1 -
My morning conversations with John our train conductor continue. He came back some time ago from a 4 week vacation, looking all tanned and relaxed. Of course the first few days from a vacation as extended as his can’t be easy.
So as is my habit, I am seated at the end of the coach John is chatting with me (his back to the rest of the coach) and a fellow passenger about his time off. As we talk this tall, graceful looking black woman comes up and stands a few feet behind John. Her hands are on the seats on either sides of her. We make eye contact and she indicates with her large dark eyes that I should indicate to John that she is behind. You know like how you would move your eyes from me to John and with the slightest nod of her head.
John is yapping away merrily and both me, and my co passenger notice her trying to get his attention.
Finally I say “John…” and nod in her direction.
She smiles at John and indicates that he should come over and walks away to her seat.
John as his face lights up starts to follow her.. arms raised defensively “ I am comin.. I am comin…”.
Me and co passenger share a laugh and can only shake our heads.

Conversation 2 – As I am getting ready to get off at my stop, I see John coming to get the door for me.
I can see him munching on something, and brushing his hands as if wiping his palms of what I am guessing is remnants of whatever it is that he was eating.
Me – “B’fast on the train eh?”
John – “You bet!”
Me – “What did you eat?”
John – “Key lime pie”
Me – “Someone get that for you?”
John – “Yup!”
Me – “You lucky dog!”
Me and my co-passenger were shaking our heads and laughing. There is something about John… lol

Conversation 3 -
This was the day when I almost missed the train and was amongst the last passengers to board. John usually stays on the platform to make sure there are not any last minute commuters trying to make the train. The waiting room and the ticket booth are all glass enclosed right next to the platform.
John – “Hey there..now that’s what I would like for Christmas..” turning his head towards the ticket booth.
In mid stride I turn to see this pretty looking blonde in her 20s walking up to the ticket booth.
Me – “Be careful what ya wish for man…”
John – “I know .. could be trouble”

I guess a part of me should be offended that he said that about her. But that is how he is. He is always polite and fun and makes the commute interesting to say the least. He has a sort of roguish charm to him, I guess that make him appealing to some.

Friday story, poem, photo, recipe for bratwurst, audio link, erotic takeoff on airplane food word

Mona at Mona's Barbaric Yawp has the Friday story, poem, photo, recipe for bratwurst, audio link, erotic takeoff on airplane food word. It's "broken". And since I am too tired (Is it Friday yet??) I will just put up a couple of pics.

Broken 1


Broken2

13 comments:

PythoRoshan said...

nice read..wish the govt were listening

dem said...

Pyth - Oh, but they are, court ruling against the Bush administration's electronic evesdropping notwithstanding.

Ash said...

John is quite a character!
Love reading about him....

chandni said...

and the tag has been done!

Keshi said...

I want the govts to read Jay's blog.

Keshi.

Dadoji said...

Did Johnny come lately? *lol*
Quite a character but I guess I, too, would like him.
Next time he sees someone interesting, he can sing "All I want for Christmas is you". ;-)

karmic_jay said...

@pythoroshan.. thansk for stopping by.

@dem .. lol hey are you wearing an troll repellant or something? This place seems quite clean.

@lol Ash. I will tell him his tales are known to ppl in India too.

@Chandni..thanks will check it out.

@Keshi.. if the govt is reading my blog instead of going after the bad guys then we truly are in trouble.

@Dadoji..lol

Aditi said...

its always nice to hear about john.. I dont think its objectionable because it isnt what he says, i think sometimes its how he says it ..
neways... that is how they won the last election.. i know ppl that voted republican just cuz they dindt want the war to change govts midway

Mona Buonanotte said...

My mouth is watering for key lime pie...I think I have a crush on John!

M (tread softly upon) said...

did i leave a comment in here this morning?

karmic_jay said...

@Aditi..Ya but what if you are on a horse midway and drowning, you have to get off.

@Mona.. lol. If I tell John that might tickle him silly.

@M.. No this is the first comment that I am seeing.

dem said...

Trolls can't be destroyed. Their heads may explode, but that won't stop them because they pull their thoughts from a different part of their anatomy.

He'll be back with his inane GOP talking points soon enough, I'm certain of it.

karmic_jay said...

lol@Dem..