Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Manic Street Preacher's Book Tag...

As per preacher's request..
1. One book that changed your life?
I remember one book lent to me by one of my teachers in India ages ago. I do not remember the title. It was about the holocaust. It was gripping reading and it made me cry, it horrified me that man was capable of such cruelty. It's cover was a B/W picture of concentration camp survivors behind a barbed wire fence.

2. One book you have read more than once?

An incovenient Truth - Al Gore. Loved the documentary, now reading the book the second time around.

3. One book you would want on a desert island?

An Equal Music- Vikram Seth
The story of the hero's chance encounter with Julia, the pianist he had loved and lost in Vienna, brings him happiness again. Her situation, and the secret that may end her career threatens to undo this rekindled relationship. I absolutely loved this book and must be a sucker for good romantic novels. I could feel the joy the hero felt and the gut wrenching pain that comes from a heartbreak. This book is available in audio format and I might get it again.

4. One book that made you laugh?


Holy Cow: An Indian Adventure By Sarah MacDonald
From Publishers Weekly Australian radio correspondent Macdonald's rollicking memoir recounts the two years she spent in India when her boyfriend, Jonathan, a TV news correspondent, was assigned to New Delhi. Leaving behind her own budding career, she spends her sabbatical traveling around the country, sampling India's "spiritual smorgasbord": attending a silent retreat for Vipassana meditation, seeking out a Sikh Ayurvedic "miracle healer," bathing in the Ganges with Hindus, studying Buddhism in Dharamsala, dabbling in Judaism with Israeli tourists, dipping into Parsi practices in Mumbai, visiting an ashram in Kerala, attending a Christian festival in Velangani and singing with Sufis.

What other country in the world would offer you that? I mean America is diverse too but spiritual smorgasbord? Only in India. The book apparently was criticized in India, but I did not see what got their goat. In any case I enjoyed it made me laugh and took me on a virtual tour of lands that I know and have never been too.

5. One book that made you cry?

Slaves in the Family – Edward Ball.
From School Library Journal A compelling saga, Ball's biographical history of his family stands as a microcosm of the evolution of American racial relations.
.. In the course of his research, the author learned that his ancestors were not only slave owners, but also that there was a highly successful slave trader company in his background. He was able to trace the offspring of slave women and Ball men (between 75,000 and 100,000 currently living) and locate a number of his own African-American distant cousins.
..In the course of his research, he visited Bunce Island, off the coast of Sierra Leone, to see the fortress from which his ancestors loaded terrorized men, women, and children onto slave ships. Their story represents that of many African Americans. This book helps readers to visualize, if not understand, the slave legacy still enmeshed in this country today.


It was a bit of a dry read at times but at the same time very compelling, a very honest look at the authors own family legacy.

6. One book you wish had been written?
The Story Of My Life By - ME
Well at least a few folks would read it. I would need to take an year off to write. It would be a coming of age story. What another one? Oh No!

7. One book you wish had never been written?
Some of the books written by Indian-American authors, the whole immigrant shtick and the issues between the parents and the first generation has been regurgitated to death.

I am going to tag 3 more folks so here goes..

-- M(tread softly upon)
-- Chandni
--Dadoji

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: #1

Night, by Elie Wiesel?

Keshi said...

U have read alot Jay...great!

btw I took up the previous tag in ur prev post :) check it out.

Keshi.

chandni said...

oh ho! revenge time?? ;)

Mr. J said...

The Story Of My Life By - ME


You should seriously start thinking about it.

karmic_jay said...

Anonymous said...
Re: #1

Night, by Elie Wiesel?


@Anon.. no it was not a famous author.

@keshi.. I wish I can read more. *A* reads a lot more than I do. She is the brainier of the lot.
Will check out the tag.

@Chandni.. didn't they say it's sweet? ;)
But seriously. if you don't want to do that tag it's ok.

@me
Me™ said...
The Story Of My Life By - ME
ou should seriously start thinking about it.

lol you are writing my book for me?

ishita said...

i just wrote a nice long comment and erased it :( by mistake...i hate it when that happens!!!:(

i have to rushhh now...coz this kid here wants sumthin...

anyway, what i'd written wz that i hardly get the time to read in peace widout being distracted *sound familiar*...but well, when i do get time, i choose a book over TV and the pc!

ummm...there was more...but here the yellin is drivin me nuts...

byeeeeeeeee...tc..!

M (tread softly upon) said...

You have such a wonderful book list it makes me almost embarassed to do mine. But I'll get to it as soon as I'm done with my last tag from brownmagic.

Paresh said...

T's got Holy Cow. I should read it. I haven't been reading much this year. Been too stuck trying to find my way out of Chapter 4 on my own book :)

karmic_jay said...

@Ishita.. awww sorry to hear about the lost comment. Thanks though for typing it up again :)

@M. Thanks. But it's not that great you should check out Manic Street Preachers list. Even *A* has a pretty eclectic taste, but then ofcourse she is the better half more brainy, smart, sassy and more grounded than I am or can ever hope to be. Take you r time with the tag no rush.

@Paresh.. It's a funny read indeed. You write too? Pretty neat, let us know when you are ready with it. :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Sanjay...a book fest here..loved it!!

--Gangadhar
http://ganga.wordpress.com

Aditi said...

whoa where is my comment.. cuz i thought i did comment on this already..
(soo confused)
neways nice tag.. and some good books there..
(yea i am still baffled abt my comment)

karmic_jay said...

@Aditi.. thanks, maybe your blogger cookie is gone? was the anonymous you?

chandni said...

anything on books I'll take up!! :)

starry nights said...

Jay..you have read a lot of different books. Nice reviews. have to check out a few.

Dadoji said...

Will do this in a day or two. Okay, maybe later today if my mood persists.

Manic Street Preacher said...

oh man now i GOTTA read HOLY cow!!
:)
\m/
great list.
n yeah, i second ur emotions on equal music.

Anonymous said...

You have an outstanding good and well structured site. I enjoyed browsing through it »

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! »