Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Red Bell Pepper Chutney And Gram Flour Dosas...

Credit where credit is due.. The recipes below are from the amazing Indira at Nandyala. The past weekend I finally got a chance to try a couple of these recipes that she so eloquently brings to life via her words and photos. She does not want her pics to be copied or hot linked. I just noticed that. Next time I will take my own pics.
I can cook ok, though am not original and I may modify stuff on the fly. These both turned out well. The recipe below is how we made it, the originals are here.

Red Bell Pepper Chutney

2 big red bell peppers
1 medium sized onion

Chop the above

4 dried red chillies
1 garlic clove

Add all the ingrdients and sautee till cooked, allow to cool.
1 tablespoon of tamarind paste (mix in some water to dissolve well)
Half a cup on roasted unsalted peanuts (take the skins off)
Half a tablespoon of grated jaggery (sugar may work too), but jaggery as a different taste.

Grind all the ingredients in a blender to coarse puree.
Add salt to taste. We also added a dash of lime juice.

The chutney can also serve as a good spread for bagels. Stays in the fridge.

Gram Flour Dosas
For about 8 to 10 small size dosas

2 cups of gram flour (besan)
1 big onion, 6 green chillies, few sprigs of cilantro - finely chopped
1 tsp of each - cumin and ajwain (vaamu/carom seeds)
½ tsp of salt or to taste

Sift gram flour to aerate and to remove lumps. Take in a big vessel. First add cumin, ajwain, and salt. Mix to combine. Next, add the finely chopped vegetables. By gradually adding water, about 1 to 2 cups, mix and prepare besan batter to a medium-thick pouring consistency, a bit like dosa batter.

Heat an iron dosa pan and grease it with some oil. When the pan is hot, pour ladleful of batter and spread into thin round. Sprinkle half teaspoon of oil or ghee on the top. Wait for bubbles to appear. When the underside starts to brown, gently lift and turn to other side. Cook the dosa until the second side is lightly browned. Remove and serve hot with chutney.

Eat hot they don't taste as good when cold.

Since I don't have recipe pics, I must post other pics...

Bird...



Stop Or My Grandma Will Shoot...


Raj Rani, 80 fires a pistol during the rural games at Kila Raipur, in the Indian state of Punjab.(AP Photo/Aman Sharma)

Guts!

21 comments:

Keshi said...

u always put up some very cool pics Jay :)


**Gram Flour Dosas

An Indian friend of mine makes these and boy o boy they r YUMMMMMMMMMMMM! Crispy and delicious!


Keshi.

Teri said...

If only I had an iron dosa pan....

Would a garden-variety (at least here in the States) iron frying pan work, do you think?

MoDigli said...

Oh, that sounds yummy!

And the "guts" picture is my favorite! It just made me smile. :)

opinionatedinjerzee said...

as always.. love the cool pictures!! lol!! i needed a good laugh!

jhantu said...

The chutney recipe seems extremely enticing almost as much as the pistol shooting grandma.. must try it sometimes soon.

Anand said...

oh wow,
didnt know u cld cook!
"A" will be very happy:-)
And loved the last pics..quite cute...only kids can have such guts coz they'r not aware of the likely consequences!

chandni said...

awwsome..will try out the recipes..

I finally have a kitchen and have to cook...so I need ur help wih some basic recipes!!!

karmic_jay said...

@Keshi.. Thanks.

@Teri.. The pan has to be flat. Here is a link for the kind of pans you are looking for. It's from Nandyala's site. The pan has to be flat as seen in the link. A ordinary flat iron pan might work, but will take more oil for cooking. Actually if you look at the link, Indira bought the pan at target. :)

@Modigli.. Thanks

@opin.. thanks

@J. it's pretty easy to make.

@Anand.. I started cooking about a dz years ago. I found that I like it, it's realxing. Also *A* is more busy and it helps. Also gives us more things to do together.

@Chandni. Be glad to help, but if you look at Nandyala.org, there is tons of stuff there too.

Dadoji said...

Another recipe but no food for me. :-(

karmic_jay said...

@Dadoji.. When you visit the us maybe.

starry nights said...

Good for you. able to cook. thanks for sharing those recipes. I like those pics.

~River~ said...

You've made me hungry.

Sorry about not visiting...too busy with work these days to blog much.

karmic_jay said...

@Starry nights.. thanks

@River.. :) Don't be sorry, I figured you would be busy with classes and all.

M (tread softly upon) said...

was here. liked the grandma shooting picture :) also must try out these recipes (sigh).
and thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm so out of steam from writing replies.

karmic_jay said...

@M.. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Teri said...

Thanks for answering my question. I have a pan that is quite similar (cast iron, flat) that I think might work - now I just need to find the time to mess around in the kitchen for a while, trying new recipes!

Id it is said...

Interesting picture of the 'grandma' with a 'gun'. What kind of killer games are these? hehe

Aditi said...

now this recipe i can try.. hmm

chandni said...

thanks for the link!

Varsha said...

Yummy recipes..shall try them

and what nice pics !!! love the pics on your blog

Deepali said...

I love the last picture of the Asian girl in that cute pose!