Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Thoughts On A Tuesday Evening…

I have always wondered about the genesis of nightmares, I am sure there are several different reasons. The thought just crossed my mind, as I waited at the train station for my train. While Aditi has had her share, I wonder if hers compare to the one that Mona had which I thought is probably the most graphic that I have read/heard of.

I am ruing the fact that over the past week my reading has fallen to zilch. For whatever reason all of last week although I had been going to bed pretty early, I felt I needed more sleep. Whatever time I found during my car pool and my train commute was spent power napping. As one of those people with a constant need for stimulation I felt astray all week. Although I do read a lot of stuff online when I can, the pleasure that comes from the feel of a book/newspaper/newsmagazine in your hand, the pleasure of turning a page, the joy of something that catches your eye even during a casual page flip is something I missed. Hopefully I will read some more this week, I am always playing catch up, and then I have my other distractions…err sources of stimulation.

I am a pretty big fan of the NFL (American football) and follow the Green Bay Packers (this story of how I ended up being a fan of an NFL team in one of the smallest cities in the American Midwest is the stuff of a separate post). I am not a casual fan I consider myself a student of the game, I follow the team (they stunk it up last year) and the league thru the regular season and the off season. I play the Madden NFL PC game on the computer too. It is pretty life like and has gotten better with each annual release. I have been playing it for the past 10 years or so. Playing the game on the PC, talking about it with my friends and *A* and reading up about it, have all helped me gain a very good understanding of the game, the offensive/defensive formations and strategies. To a casual observer it might look like big men in tight pants tackling each other but in reality it’s a lot more than that. It’s an elaborate chess game which is why I find the game so riveting and fun. It helps that *A* is a big fan too, she played sports when she was in school and follows most of the major sports, but it’s really amazing to have a spouse who loves sports as well. We love watching football together and a huge hat tip to her.

The other thing that competes for my reading time are movies, I try to catch some that *A* would rather not watch ( my taste ranges from refined to the lowest common denominator.. but then I am shallow.. ;)) on the train on the laptop. But that has been hard too, not to mention with me on some days trying to type up a post on the train.

Then there is the new thing since I have weight training equipment at home. I find it very relaxing after a long day to work out on the weights or jog. I always jogged regularly but with the weight machines, I almost tend to hit them 4-5 days a week (for the past 3 weeks).
Vain Vain!!!!

So there you go, that was some fine navel gazing my me in front of the mirror. But then this is my blog ;)

I am not sure if you are aware of CNN’s plastic doll Kyra Phillips. She is rather infamous at least amongst media watchers like myself. Her most famous quote was when during the collective media orgasm that during the early days of the Iraq conflict she happened to interview this little Iraqi boy who was seriusly injured by American bombing.

AL-NAJADA: Actually, today he was in good condition after the operation and started speaking with a journalist and answering all their questions. The thing which he was -- they asking about -- the journalists, especially the broadcasting, what the message he wants to reflect from the war. He said, first of all, thank you for the attention they're giving to him, but he hopes nobody from thechildren in the war they will suffer like what he suffer.

PHILLIPS: Does he understand why...

AL-NAJADA: Kyra.

PHILLIPS: Doctor, does he understand why this war took place? Has he talked about Operation Iraqi Freedom and the meaning? Does he understand it?

AL-NAJADA: Actually, we don't discuss this issue with him because he is -- the burn cases, and the type of injury, he's in very bad psychological trauma. We would like to pass this stage and then we can discuss this issue. But we discussed this issue with his uncle, and the message we get from his family, they said they are living far away from the American troops -- from the military of Saddam of Fedayeen by five kilometers, and they don't know how they hit them by the missiles.

It says something about us as a nation when we have to rationalize children suffering because of an unjust war.

I always thought she was just eye candy, but this merely confirmed it. Her latest gaffe? She was caught talking over the president while she was in the bathroom. LOL..don’t believe me? Here is the video and the rough transcript. She is such an airhead!



Kyra talks about, presumably, a boy of some sort: “No ego… you don’t understand., just a really passionate, compassionate human being. And they exist! They do exist. They’re hard to find—”

COWORKER: “Yep.”
KYRA: “But they… are out there.”

Thankfully, “Mom” seems to approve (“good vibe”)

Then, Kyra again: “Of course brothers hafta be, you know, protective. [ZIP] Except for mine. I gotta be protective of him. Ugh, yeah. He’s married, three kids, but his wife is just a control freak.”

Then the best part:

WOMAN: Kyra—
KYRA: Yeah baby—
WOMAN: Your mic is on.
ANCHOR: All right, we’ve been listening in to…

Kyra talking about compassion.. precious! And that is my response to Kyra.....

17 comments:

Ameet said...

OMG - did that really happen on live TV??? How did they miss it in the 10 second delay?

CNN should be renamed the Story-of-The-Day Network - a.k.a. STD Network. They can't seem to look beyond that one hot story.

starry nights said...

I cant believe this really happened.I wonder what her brothers wife had to say. BTW I love football also.I loved the chicago bears when I lived in chicago now I like the steelers and the 49ers.My son loves all those madden football games and they look life like.

Keshi said...

LOL that seriously was on air? yuikkkkz!

I play soccer occasionally...for fun. Me no Beckham, hell na :)

Weight training ha? cool!


Keshi.

Eli said...

You should talk nightmares with the shadowy and mysterious Codename V. sometime. Her nightmares are like the scariest of Asian horror movies...

Dadoji said...

Pretty (much) airhead.

Ash said...

Cant believe it!

Aditi said...

Oh MY GAWD
i cant believe she said that about her brother and his wife on national tv... i bet she is PISSED
and chicago BEARS rock!!! I just had to say that u know...
but yea the packers are good..I will grudgingly admit it

Anonymous said...

"the pleasure that comes from the feel of a book/newspaper/newsmagazine in your hand, the pleasure of turning a page, the joy of something that catches your eye even during a casual page flip"

oh wat a beautiful thght... n soo well put..

the number of thoughts summed up in one post..!
you deserve to be vain.. :)

= rich

chandni said...

you're kidding me right??

this is hilarious!ON AIR????

karmic_jay said...

@Ameet.. It did there is a piece on the NYT web site about it too.
lol@STD network.

@Starry.. Hard as it is it did. Go Steelers! Yep the Madden games do look life like.

@Keshi. Soccer eh? Pretty neat I have to say.

@Eli. Ofcourse the mysterious Codename V!

@Dadoji.. Yup!

@Ash.. It happened. It's on the NYT website too. The dolts apologised to the White House too, since it happened over the president's speech.

@Aditi.. The Bears are better, they beat the Packers last year.

@Anon.. thanks..

@Chandni..Yep, it happened live.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Yeah herad the Kyra thing on the radio this morning :))

Eli said...

I forgot to mention that I too just got the new Madden, and I'm totally addicted to it.

I suck, so I mainly just call the plays and let the computer do the work, except when I'm passing.

karmic_jay said...

@ Eli..LOL.. I suck too. But I try to run the plays. I did purchase and download the game instead of buying it in the store. I am still in the exhibition season. I can't spend too much time with it unfortunately, but it is always a pleasure to play.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Ooh, she is so busted...if I was the sister-in-law, I'd be plotting juicy revenge....

My husband has a huge football boner right now. I like football..LIKE...but I do LOVE the football music...y'know, those old NFL films? And that narrator's voice? Ooh yeah baby, play that game like the dirty boy I know you are, you...uh...sorry.

DysfunctionaL said...

airhead is an understatement..

karmic_jay said...

@Mona.. maybe there will a chapter 2 to this in the tabloids?

My husband has a huge football boner right now

lol as long as he has one for you too it's ok.. ;) sorry I went off topic there.

But I know what you mean about the old NFL films.. love them!

karmic_jay said...

lol@dysfunctional..