Thursday, September 14, 2006

Some Friday Musings, Global Warming And A Way To Patch It

If you are seeing this, the blog is on blogger beta. There may be changes to how it looks but am not sure how it may evolve or devolve.

Just a few notes to my 5 readers….

I anticipate to be busy the next few weeks, but will try to write up whatever comes to mind as often as I can. I may not be able to visit your blogs often cos of that, but I will, whenever I get a chance.

I visit your blogs cuz I like what you have to say, it is not a quid pro quo. When this blog was new, someone advised me that it was a good way to get a initial base of readers. Not sure if it always works that way, but none of you should feel obliged to read this blog cos I read yours.
If it is interesting enough you may keep coming back. Someone even mentioned they are tired of the politics or the Bush criticism here. Sorry it's my blog I am not changing my content for you, if it bothers anyone sorry but that is how it is.

I actually know a few folks who don’t read my blog, though I regularly comment at theirs (I mean it’s possible they are lurking here.. but don’t lurk say something even if you disagree with me, for as Teri says if you lurk the terrarists have won ;)).

Update: The above is just a general statement not directed at anyone as such, maybe I was cranky when I wrote it up..lol

Global Warming



This image provided by NASA Wednesday Sept. 13, 2006 shows QuikScat interannual observations of sea ice over the Arctic enabling the detection of recent drastic reductions in the extent of perennial ice and its depletion from the eastern Arctic Ocean between 2004, left and 2005. Arctic sea ice in winter is melting far faster than before, two new NASA studies reported Wednesday, a new and alarming trend that researchers say threatens the ocean's delicate ecosystem. For more than 25 years Arctic sea ice has slowly diminished in winter by about 1.5 percent per decade. But in the past two years the melting has occurred at rates 10 to 15 times faster. (AP Photo/NASA). Story here.

As Nim said in the Eschaton comments..

Even if our War on Terror isn't going quite according to plan, at least our War on the Arctic is just gangbusters.
Nim, ham hock of liberty Homepage 09.14.06 - 8:15 am

How About A Patch For Global Warming?

I thought the idea sounded whacky. But here is the plan inject a layer of silt in the stratosphere. It would create a haze and reflect some of the sunlight back. It's not a solution just a patch as per the scientist who proposed it. The idea has been around for a while. They point to a past volcanic erruption which created a haze and brought down global temperatures by one degree.
While it may work what it won't do is slow down the greenhouse emissions, or reduce the acidity of oceans and the destruction of coral reefs.
Link here and audio at NPR here.
Interesting idea, but sad that we are doing nothing about global climate change with Mr. Incompetent as our President.

Talking about him, Steve Bell from the Guardian on US and UK calls for Nato to send more troops to Afghanistan.

13 comments:

Keshi said...

Jay's gotta new blog template WOOHOO nice! And now ur beta-jay? :)


** but none of you should feel obliged to read this blog cos I read yours.

duhhhhhh ok I wont then lol!


**Someone even mentioned they are tired of the politics or the Bush criticism here.

hello that someone is KESHI!


**Sorry it's my blog I am not changing my content for you, if it bothers anyone sorry but that is how it is.

hell na u shouldnt change anything. Did I/someone ask u to change it? LOL chillax Jay. When I said that Im tired of poltics/bush-bashing, all I said was how I feel. And what matters is how we honestly feel and if our comments are honest right? Well so thats why I said that. But NO it doesnt mean that Im asking u to change. Every post differs and we comment respectively.

Global Warming sure has brought abt alot of new fashion tho...like material-less clthes lol! So yeah it's saving from another angle :)

Ice-melting is scary.

**But here is the plan inject a layer of silt in the stratosphere. It would create a haze and reflect some of the sunlight back.

pretty smart idea if it can be implemented. but then again I feel its unnatural and it might cause other probs. I may be wrong.


hell I dun want that last pic to ever come true LOL!

Keshi.

modigli said...

You made the switch to BETA! Agh! I have to figure this out for myself now. I don't get the difference or the reason to switch. But, hey, everyone's doing it! So, why not me too? :)

I heard about that silt in the sky theory today. A strangely interesting idea, but It sure would suck to be in darkness, or perpetual twilight.

Sanjay said...

@Keshi..
hello that someone is KESHI!

Err there were a couple of others too. They said they don't visit more often cos they don't care for the politics.

Did I/someone ask u to change it? LOL chillax Jay.

You did not, but see my point above? I just wanted to get that out that's all. So it's cool.

@Modigli.. It's pretty easy to switch. The only hitch is you can't comment on non Beta blogs. The way around it is to comment as anon or create a temp bloger account name (non beta) and use that till we all get converted to beta.

Sanjay said...

@Keshi.. BTW your points are well made.

aditi said...

nice new template
dont change the blog.. we read it the way it is
although commenting might be an issue now.. because it wont let me comment with a regular ol blog account
=(

Sanjay said...

@Aditi.. Thanks. Ya thats why I left the other/anonymous options open.

M (tread softly upon) said...

Hey nice changes. Liked the new look. And no I don't come and read your blog because I feel obliged. i like reading it. Although I don't leave a comment most of the time. And take care. We'll wait till you can get back to regular posting.

Sanjay said...

@M..Thanks. This was just a general note. I will be posting regularly not sure if I will be able to get to the blogs that I regularly read.

PG said...

Dude! Beta. I want in dammit!

Either way :) I concur, the best way for traffic is to have something to say. Which I haven't done myself in a while but I will today !

Boo-Frakin-Yaa.

Anonymous said...

Around the corner from my home used to be this mad man in tatters and dreads who used to talk all day long. He will talk to anyone and everyone and sometimes no one too. Sometimes when I see the man in cowboy boots and a suit talk, I think of that fellow by the corner of my house and feel what he spoke made more sense.
The energy policy passed last year was meant to take care of green house gas emissions..Wonder who bathrooms the piece of paper has gone to adorn?
I absolutely love your take on politics and totally dig your Bush bashing blogs. I do lurk everynow and then and feel guilty about it later too. hehe. Hopefully will stop doing it. All the best for your busy weeks ahead...Oh By the way this is cacophoenix

Sanjay said...

@PG.. Thanks. Sheesh I have to be invited to visit your blog?

@Cacophoenix. Thank you for your comments. I will be busy but I still hope to keep up with posts and visit blogs I frequent.

Keshi said...

heyy San-jay :) cool!

Keshi.

Dadoji said...

Good that you aren't changing your blog for others. Others are never worth it.

I always leave a comment when I visit - which is not too often these days but might improve once my workload comes down (or if I stop reading some other blog).

Global warming - things always accelerate when doom nears.