Monday, October 23, 2006

Fresh Fig Ice Cream & Jon Stewart On W.

Homemade fresh fig ice cream




I got the figs from the local farm Highland Orchards from their own fig trees. They probably are not as sweet as the figs from Califronia that you often see at the supermarket. But nothing like going local and eating fresh me thinks.




1 lb ripe figs
1 1/2 cup Whipping cream
1/2 cup Sugar
3 Egg yolks
Vanilla to taste
Cognac or brandy (optional) -- to taste
Wash the figs, cut off the stem ends, and cut the skin off.
Be careful so as to not cut too deep (I made sure to cut deep enough to just get to the pulp).
Coarsely chop the figs in a food processor, or put them through a food mill, or crush well with a potato masher.
Warm 1 cup of the cream with the sugar in a non-corroding saucepan, stirring occasionally, until the sugar has dissolved.
Whisk the egg yolks just enough to mix them and whisk in some of the hot cream mixture to warm them.
Return to the pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard coats the spoon. Strain through a medium-fine strainer into a container(Optional).
Add the remaining cream and 1-1/2 cups of the fig puree.
Flavor to taste with a few drops each of vanilla and Cognac or brandy.
Chill thoroughly.
Freeze according to the instructions with your ice-cream maker.
It turned out pretty well, not too sweet the flavors delicate and subtle. There are a couple of different ways of making this here and here.

Jon Stewart Rocks..

Here he is on the David Letterman show

21 comments:

Cacophoenix said...

oh God Jon cracks me up...I was cracked up by jon...cracking wi by jon...hehehe ;-)

Aditi said...

Ice cream with cognac, now that is definitely interesting

Sanjay said...

@Cacophoenix.. Indeed, I am not sure what I would have done if we did nto have a program like his to watch.

@Aditi.. The cognac was just a couple of spoons for a dif flavor.

Maggie said...

"stupid is Oh my god I just ate soap" - now that's poignant. :-) And really, how can we be sure that Bush hasn't ever said that?

Sanjay said...

@Maggie.. true. He alaready lied abotu staying the course in Iraq, after having said "we will stay the course" several times on Sunday he said "I/we have never been about staying the course" or something to the effect.

Nadim said...

Pres. Perz on the daily show??? is it yet to be aired?

Nadim said...

found it!
:)

Sanjay said...

@Nadim.. cool :)

Sai said...

Jon Stewart is hilarious!

I love fig icecream....did you add cognac though? That would be very interesting. Another interesting thing would be (I have tried that out hence speaking from experience) to flambe it.

Sanjay said...

@Sai.. I had some brandy, which is what I added (cpl of spoons). Some folks also recommend cooking the figs a bit to soften the skin, but I preferred to slice it off being my first time trying this.

Foodie's Hope said...

Hey Sanjay! Home made fig ice cream with spirit looks so yummy!!You are a gourmet cook,aren't you?

Btw I was editing for my Halloween post,blogger went off before I could delete those photos you commented on!Sorry man and thanks for commenet although I can't publish it!
Drink was Caruso which was my last post before Diwali,take a look and other photo was not a cookie but a surprise for this weekend Halloween post:)
I will post a recipe may be tomorrow or wed.I am recovering from Diwali onslaught!Thanks for checking,blogger is on again,so I deleted those pics!

Ameet said...

Totally agree with Jon's comment - he's not stupid - just appealing to the stupid amongst us.

Sanjay said...

@Foodie.. No problem. :) I am a foodie and no not a great cook, but I like to try nevertheless ;)

@Ameet.. ypu he thinks the rest of us are stupid.

Harjee Kapur said...

its late at night.
i'm hungry :(
and i want ice cream :(

guess will settle for a drink...

starry nights said...

Fig ice cream.. never had any. but sounds delicious. I love Jon , he is a regular at my home. J even tapes the program lest he misses out on any.

meno said...

Bush acts as if we are stupid because many of us have been stupid as somehow he got re-elected. So someone somehere voted for this man, many someones.
That's stupid.

Sanjay said...

Aww.. @Harjee

@Starry..you should try it with some fresh cali figs. :)

@Meno.. Agreed.

Keshi said...

Someone else told me abt Fig ice cream...I've never tried it tho. Wud u be able to fedex some for me?

btw plz ans my Qn in my reply-comment to ya :):)

Keshi.

Teri said...

Jon, Stweart. laughting. too. hard. can't. breathe. damn funny!

moegirl said...

Love Jon Stewart and ice cream...nice post.

Gangadhar said...

Fig ice cream..Umm..that's great Sanjay..i love it!!

And Jon Stewart,really rocks!!Tnx for sharing wid us..