Wednesday, October 18, 2006

I Had One Of These Moments



after I read this at Digby's from a post at Atrios by Attaturk. The original piece is here in the times.

Take Representative Terry Everett, a seven-term Alabama Republican who is
vice chairman of the House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical
intelligence.

“Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?” I asked him a
few weeks ago.

Mr. Everett responded with a low chuckle. He thought for a moment: “One’s
in one location, another’s in another location. No, to be honest with you, I
don’t know. I thought it was differences in their religion, different families
or something.”

To his credit, he asked me to explain the differences. I told him briefly
about the schism that developed after the death of the Prophet Muhammad, and how
Iraq and Iran are majority Shiite nations while the rest of the Muslim world is
mostly Sunni. “Now that you’ve explained it to me,” he replied, “what
occurs to me is that it makes what we’re doing over there extremely difficult,
not only in Iraq but that whole area.”

Such are the idiots that govern us. Granted that he may not have known about them before but for crying out load he is on the "House intelligence subcommittee on technical and tactical intelligence". Like his leader he is clearly devoid of any. The elections can't come soon enough.

The Day That Americans Yawned As They Lost Another Right...



That was roughly paraphrasing the constitutional law expert Jonathan Turley on tonight's Keith Olbermann show.
But TBogg below

Torture.
Secret prisons.
Hearsay evidence.
No habeas petitions.
Kangaroo courts.
Star chambers.
and Digby say it best..

Today President Bush took the constitution and tore it into little pieces.
....I don't ever want to hear anyone on the right talk about moral values again. They are concepts which they clearly do not understand. And if they dare to bring up the Bible or Jesus Christ after this I will laugh in their faces, knowing that by their own standards they are going straight to hell for what they've done.
On a less serious note here is something interesting.

You know all those shopping trolleys that shoppers use at stores? The ones that get dumped are now being put to a better use by an artist, he makes sculptures from discarded shopping trolleys. There are more links at this site. The one I loved the most is below.



Cawfish/Crayfish


One Can't Live In These Depressing Times Without Some Humor...

Borat on night of too many stars with Jon Stewart..

13 comments:

~River~ said...

I won't say anything about the first part of your post...makes me feel like banging my head against the wall too.

I loved the frog and the kingfisher made from them trolleys.

Sanjay said...

@River.. yup. Nice sculptures eh?

Cacophoenix said...

Yeah I read the piece too. with Bush as president, I am not very suprised. I was actually happy that they had a clue as to where Iraq is.

Heard on NPR: US has officially changed the spelling of Ukraine's capital KIEV to KYEV and prounounces it ifferent too. Me thinking, must be the most productive foreign policy desicion ever made.

Sanjay said...

@Cacophoenix.. Yup. I await the next monumental decision. The word nukular will have to be a part of the American and World lexicon ;)

Mona Buonanotte said...

Those shopping cart sculptures are AWESOME!

I can't even think about what Bush just did to us. Would he think that was a good idea if other countries adopted the same attitude? He'd literally squeeze a bloody cow out his anus and cry 'foul' if someone other than the US did. (Wow, was THAT an ugly thought, sorry.)

Sai said...

I loved the cart sculptures. I knew someone who makes sculptures from metal scraps. I think this is fabulous recycling!

Keshi said...

**Do you know the difference between a Sunni and a Shiite?

No one should be asking this Qn even. Cos what difference will it make?

Keshi.

Neers said...

good post, better sculptures... balancing factors

meno said...

Sigh. Our government in action. Hard to believe that he's on any committee with the word intelligence in it. Bah!
Cute sculptures though.

chocolteluva said...

about the first part: WOW! *in shock*
loved the sculpture, although i thought it was a scorpion at first.
and lastly, i saw the night of many stars, lol borat was HILARIOUS!

Ameet said...

What goes around, comes around. We'll see what happens in November.

Aditi said...

you are far too optimistic if u think the govt will change

nadim said...

dyu lik ali g too? i think sacha baron is amaaaaazing!! (but i hate his oder char bruno)