Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Tuesday Notes

Supercell

These are just amazing pictures that chronicle the formation of a supercell. Frankly the pics are scary, as if one ever needed a reminder of the amazing power that mother nature wields. As per wikipedia
A supercell is a severe thunderstorm with a deep rotating updraft (a mesocyclone) [1]. Supercell thunderstorms are the largest, most severe class of single-cell thunderstorms. It has been argued that there are really only two types of thunderstorms: supercell and ordinary, though some have four classifications: single-cell, multi-cell, squall line, and supercell.



Check out the downdraft of rain! Look how sharp that cutoff is, on the south side. You could almost jump in and out of the core. I don't get how anyone could drive under this and not feel the need to pull over and watch.



This was a permanent look to the thing, a huge donut. This is one of my favorite shots.

More pics here.
UPDATE: Pics are from a storm chasers site and not taken by me, sorry if any of you got that impression. :)

A rather interesting take on how our life is backwards by NY Nerd..pretty funny.


I believe our life cycle is backwards:

You should start out dead and get it out of the way.

Then, you wake up in an old age home feeling better every day.

You get kicked out for being too healthy; go collect your pension, then when>you start work, you get a gold watch on your first day.

You work 40 years until you’re young enough to enjoy your retirement.

You drink, you party, you’re generally promiscuous, and you get ready for High School.

You go to grade school, you become a kid, you play, you have no responsibilities, you become a baby, and then…

You spend your last 9 months floating peacefully in luxury, in spa-like conditions; central heating, room service on tap, larger quarters every day, and then, you finish off as an orgasm.

I rest my case.

27 comments:

Appu said...

wow! for one the pics are great. we dont get to see these things here in india. second, i wish our lifecycle is like that, begin dead, and end orgasmed.

John said...

Awesome pics... and man, that lifecycle is cool. Reversee Engineering, as they call it.

chandni said...

makes see I'd say :)

I am so not looking fwd to growing older and taking up all sorts of responsibilities..though I guess it might have its own charm :)

Mona Buonanotte said...

I LOVE those supercell photos! When I was a teen, I saw that same occurrence over my folks' house, and took some great photos...alas, not digital. Too bad mom made me go inside before it got really dicey....

Appu said...

you've been tagged

Shitrint said...

twas a cool post sanjay!
really enjoyed reading it...quite informative abt the supercell bit and the pics!
and nynerd took the cake!
lol!
:D

nadim said...

wow! fr pics

wooowwww!!!!! fr da lifecycle. hw cm it nevr occured to me??? :-o

Sanjay said...

@Appu..lol I agree about the lifecycle.

@John.. Thanks

@Chandni.. Same here, not sure growing old is fun at all.

@Mona.. Yup I can why you got shooed in. Probably too worried for your safety.

@Shitrint.. thanks

@Nadim.. I am wondering that too, why did I not think of the lifestyle along those lines?

Maggie said...

I think ending orgasmic is an awesome idea. But there's no rule that says you can't do that in your own way.
I love lightning storms. Someday I hope I can witness one of these super cells!

Sai said...

Lovely photographs! Thunderstorms scare the hell out of me. I was caught outdoors braving a severe one a few years ago!

Life Cycle:
It is a cute post. Hind sight is always 20/20. When you are a kid you are waiting to be an adult. As an adult you want to go back to your childhood.

freespirit said...

Those pics look kinda scary. I dont want to imagine what it would do to a city! And the reverse lifecycle....do we still have to go through mid life crisis you think?

Intern said...

Yeah second shot is pretty impressive. ... and I agree ... life should move backward.

Ameet said...

The lifecycle thing was on Seinfeld. George said it.

priya said...

Good shot and I gotto tell you you had the guts to take it. Whne yous ee such things so many things will run into our minds and the first thingy is to run for life.

Sanjay said...

@Maggie.. I would loe to see a supercell too, but from a safe distance. ;)

@Sai.. I have driven in a couple of scary ones too. As for the life cycle thing we are so fickle.

@Freespirit..I would love to skip the whole midlife crisis thing.

@Intern..yup

@Ameet.. I had no idea it was from Seinfeld. Thanks

Nancy Willing said...

wow, these are remarkable pics.
I have seen this sort of thing over the ocean but never over land.

I had a great time with you and the Mrs. and the ql's!!!!!!!

Sanjay said...

@Nancy.. Thanks. We enjoyed having dinner with everyone and the conversations were fun too.

gnightgirl said...

You took those pix? They're amazing, and intimidating. Every time I try to photograph a good storm, it just looks like boring old sky.

The lifecycle thing is hilarious.

Sanjay said...

gnightgirl. No I did not take those pictures. They are from a storm chasers ste and there is a link in the post to that.
The lifecycle list is apparently from Seinfeld.
Thanks for stopping by.

Id it is said...

The pictures are awe-inspiring; nature on warpath, or else flexing muscle to show who's in charge here. hehe

Keshi said...

those pics r great but look scary!

lol I have read that life-cycle joke b4 :)

Keshi.

Ash said...

Awesome pictures!

Aditi said...

ahh great lifecycle and nice pics.. y would someone be out there taking pics

starry nights said...

Beautiful pics and love that lifecycle.

moegirl said...

The pictures are incredible. The living backwards thing makes me agree, yeah, the other way around! I'm not looking forward to my body breaking down as I get older, or bingo and jello at the Daisy Hill retirement community for "active seniors" as the way to finish out this life.

~River~ said...

Oh my, the pics are out of this world. Thanks for the link to the other photographs.

And I read the forward on living our lives backward a few days back and I was like, wow, what an amazing idea!

Sanjay said...

@Id.. Thanks.

@Keshi. Ameet said it was from a TV series called Seinfeld.

@Ash/Starry Nights.. Thanks

@Aditi.. I think thats what these storm chasers do.

@Moe, I agree nto looking forward to it either.

@River...Thanks