Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Lamb In A Saffron Flavored Sauce

I haven't been able to try out my cooking these past few weeks as much as I would have liked to.
But this thanksgiving presented an opportunity to try out something. We had been craving for some lamb and so thats what I went with.

  • . 2 lb mutton/lamb, cut into 1-inch sized pieces
  • · 4-6 red baby potatoes, cut in halves
  • · 2 cups onions, finely chopped
  • . 2-3 cloves of garlic
  • · 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
  • · 1 tsp cumin powder (add 1/2 to 1 tsp coriander powder too if you so desire)
  • · 1/2 tsp red chili powder (change as per your spice tolerance)
  • · 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
  • · 1/4 tsp saffron, mixed with 2 tbsp warm water
  • · salt, to taste
  • · water, as required
  • · 2-4 tbsp cooking oil
  • · cilantro leaves chopped for garnish.




  • Chop the onions fine (I chopped them not too fine and tossed them in a blender to puree them). I added a couple of cloves of garlic.
  • Sautee the onions in a prying pan over some oil, till the smell of raw onions is gone.
  • Add the chopped tomatoes, cumin, turmeric and chili powder along with the red potatoes. Cook till tomatoes pulp and from a thick consistency.
  • Mix the lamb in to coat with spices along with a cup or two of water. I cooked the lamb using a pressure cooker (cooked till we got the pressure valve tweet twice). If not using a pressure cooker allow to simmer on medium to low heat for about 30 mins or till lamb is done.
  • If you are not using the pressure cooker add the potatoes just about the time when the lamb is almost done. Also adjust the amount of water based on the desired consistency.
  • Add the saffron and garnish with coriander leaves.
  • Serve with rice or warm rotis/naans or bread of your choice.



The original recipe is from here.
This turned out well with the lamb juicy, moist and tender. The spices mingled well with the aroma of the saffron. I may be biased but I prefer that the meat be marinated with the spices for at least a couple of hours. The meat infused with the spices is just much more fun to eat.
The saffron also brought out a memory of *A’s* aunt who is a fantastic cook, but she loves to toss in saffron in a lot of her desserts and some other dishes. She would love telling us how much saffron she added to the dishes. Saffron is fairly expensive in India so the message being “look how much I love you.. I added saffron to the dish”. It is sorta her way of saying how much she loves you.

17 comments:

Sai said...

Sanjay:
Thanks for sharing this recipe. Its looks delicious. Saffron is an essential part of Kashmiri cooking for e.g. Rogan Josh.

The rest of the country tend to use it a lot in desserts. By the way, saffron and dessert has made me hungry and I am craving some nice "shrikhanda."

Diana said...

Siiiiigh! I'm going to try that one, maybe this weekend.

Sanjay said...

@Sai.. Thanks.
By the way, saffron and dessert has made me hungry and I am craving some nice "shrikhanda."

I know what ya mean. We made it at home here a cpl of times, but with an eye on the fat content and diet we sort of stay away now.

@Daian.. Good luck. It looks pretty easy to make and it is.

Dan said...

Goodness this looks yummy! I wonder if I can substitute seitan or tofu or some other vegan meat substitute?

John said...

This reminds me.. I was supposed to order for Indian tonite.

Intern said...

hey it's so nice to know that you enjoy cooking ...
The dish appreas very yummy!!!
Woudnt chicken taste really good if cooked the same way?

Sanjay said...

@Dan. I think it would work.

@John :)

@Intern.. I think it would.

@Diana.. Sorry I misspelt your name.

meno said...

Now you have made me hungry. That looks good. I may try it even though i am a mediocre cook.

Maggie said...

Saffron love - it's a beautiful thing.

That is one gorgeous dish! Thanks for the recipe I might have to try this soon. If I can get my hands on some good lamb. Maybe at my butcher...

Sorry I haven't been around. I promise to do better. :-)

Keshi said...

OMG its lunchtime here and ooops I just had to walk into Sanjay's dining room ha...YUMMMMMMMMMAY! I want that right now. :(

Keshi.

Keshi said...

I love lamb n rotis/naans. sluuuuurp!

Keshi.

Viewer said...

Y do i see food in al lthe blos :( Am hungry

Lera said...

just saw your dish,Wow! that's an Awesome recipe with saffron flavour ! The pic tells me that it is so appetizing and can't resist to try this sometime soon :)

deepsat said...

ummm!! looks delicious!!

thanks for sharing it!!

;-))

Appu said...

Looks good, but i am a veggie... so have to let go of some carnivorous urges. Wil pass this recipe to my wife though, she is a non veg...

Sugarlips said...

Looks yummilicious & I'm so going to try this out...Would it be ok if I use mutton instead of lamb?

Stay Beautiful..!!

Sanjay said...

Thanks for all the comments ppl.