Saturday, November 11, 2006

Missing My Stop...Second wind...

I have written in the past about my love of power naps especially after I get out of work. It's the best time for me to do that I think, since I am done work wise for the day. In about 3-5 mins after I board the train I hit my snooze button, and I am in a dreamless sleep. I awake a stop before my usual stop where I alight from the train. This has worked for more than a year now.

I did mention yesterday how tired I felt and that only coffee would sustain me thru the day. However I don't have Teri's amazing ability to imbibe coffee. So anyways I sleep as soon as I got on the train yesterday afternoon. And when I wake up I realize the train is at a stop, the doors are open and within a fraction of a sec I realize it's my stop.

Muttering a "fuck" under my breath I pick up my backpack and in a flash am out of the seat, even as other passengers realize what was happening. I cross the 4 rows to the doors and manage to make it out before the doors close and I miss my stop.

I did not want to get to the next stop and then have to take a train back cos I would have missed my connecting Amtrak. I was just surprised I guess at the speed at which this aging body moved, bad knees and all.

So I get home, and I just don't wanna vegetate in front of the Teevee or the computer, so I hit the gym at home. I always seem to get a second wind of energy when I work out, and here is a study that seems to bear that out.

Regular Exercise Plays A Consistent And Significant Role In Reducing Fatigue

Forget so-called “energy drinks.” A new analysis by University of Georgia researchers finds overwhelming evidence that regular exercise plays a significant role in increasing energy levels and reducing fatigue.

“A lot of times when people are fatigued the last thing they want to do is exercise,” said professor Patrick O’Connor, co-director of the UGA exercise psychology laboratory. “But if you’re physically inactive and fatigued, being just a bit more active will help.”

Health professionals encourage regular exercise to prevent or improve symptoms of conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and obesity, but the scientific evidence on whether exercise increases or reduces fatigue had never been reviewed quantitatively. O’Connor, kinesiology professor Rod Dishman and lead author Tim Puetz, who recently completed his doctoral work at UGA, analyzed 70 randomized, controlled trials that enrolled a total of 6,807 subjects. They found strong support for the role of exercise in reducing fatigue.

“More than 90 percent of the studies showed the same thing: Sedentary people who completed a regular exercise program reported improved fatigue compared to groups that did not exercise” O’Connor said. “It’s a very consistent effect.”

Longest Motorcycle In The World



This huge long motorcycle was built by Oleg Rogov in December 2005. This record has been entered into Guiness books of records as well.

How the heck does it turn tight corners?
Later folks.

11 comments:

Foodie's Hope said...

I love the idea of your power naps, but I am too highly strung to nap all the time!:D Can you tell?! Lucky you.

Gym will do you good, but you got to eat better lunch than a power bar or a fruit, Sanju baba!:))

Motorcycle is very cool, I agree! How on earth do they turn in tight corner?!It's like mile long Burrito,who the heck eats that:))

Have a great weekend!

Teri said...

Maybe I need to trade a couple of those cups of coffee for some serious endorphin-rush-inducing exercise!

Sai said...

I love power naps!!!! I can take a nap for fifteen minutes and feel refreshed.

About coffee no matter how tired I am....I can only tolerate two cups, anything beyond that make me sick and also I cannot sleep at all at night.

Sanjay said...

@Foodie high strung? Maybe thats why you make all those lovely dishes?
lol.. Trust me if I ate anything mroe than the fruit/energy bar I would probably be too sleepy.

@Teri. might be worth a try. ;)

@Sai.. You are like *A* when it comes to coffee. :)

meno said...

i would never be able to fall asleep on a train filled with strange people. I have a hard enough time doing in in my own bed. But oh how i wish i could. I am jealous.

Id it is said...

I strongly subscribe to that! Exercise, especially after a tiring day at work, does reduce fatigue.
Inspiring post.

Intern said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Intern said...

hmmm work-out after a days work ... hats off to you!!!
But workout is quite addictive ... in the sense we do get withdrawl symptoms ... if used-to working out regularly.

But I get my rush from photography!

n said...

nice link to the coffee girl!
I knew that about excersize giving more energy so it is good to see proof!

~River~ said...

No exercising for me; but power naps...yeah, I love them!

Keshi said...

Jay u wudnt believe it Im so hyper I can never sleep for more than 15mins in the day time.

I used to be a gym junkie too...now I take long walks and do slow jogging. Less stressful than gymming.

Keshi.