Wednesday, November 08, 2006

It's Morning In America..

Pictures from NYC..a city I love.

Lots of nice pics here






The highest railroad in the world


The pan-Himalayan line climbs 5 072m (16 640ft) above sea level and runs across Tibet's snow-covered plateau, providing a controversial link between Beijing and Lhasa. The photography below is some of the first to be seen of this railway, which was completed in October, 2005. From here



While I do think it is an amazing engineering feat, it is as mentioned above controversial. The ease with which the rest of China now connects to Tibet helps the Chinese to dilute and probably slowly destroy Tibetan culture.

It Is A Nice Day...

The American people have spoken and have provided a strong repudiation of the administration led by Shrub. The democrats won the house and we may get our first woman speaker in that chamber and the fate of the senate rests on 3 close races.


Or as Jane at FDL says..
The most powerful woman in US history. Two words guaranteed to reduce any wingnut to a puddle of piss — Speaker Pelosi.
Meet the losers...



As pac at FDL says

Let me introduce the world to some new realities:

Karl Rove is not a genius. He is the author of the biggest GOP defeat in most of our lifetimes.

...

America is helping Democrats to pitch a shutout so far, holding all their seats, completely overturning the GOP revolution of 1994 in the House. The Senate looks to me like a 51 vote win for the Dems now.

Thanks, Karl.

What we talked about earlier this week is holding up: the Old Confederacy is the big loser tonight, relegated to the minority in the House. There is no reason, none, nada, zilch, to allow legislation in the House to be held hostage to Southern authoritarian Theocrats and racists anymore. Buh-bye.


More election results here...
The fight to take this nation back in a more sensible direction has just begun. I have a spring in my step this morning and though it's a long road ahead despite the crushing problems we face as a nation, I have hope.

20 comments:

Nancy Willing said...

LOTS of hope I hope.
We still have to be vigilant.

Maggie said...

Yes, it was wonderful to wake up to good news. I went to bed last night with worry on my chest.

Sai said...

I woke up this morning to the news. Was watching the results till abt 11ish and then fell asleep.

amazing photographs....wonder of mother nature and mordern technology!

Sanjay said...

@Nancy .. Amen.

@Maggie. I went to bed late too, I am tired but strangely very energized and happy as well!

@Sai.. True.

priya said...

Nice pictures and glad about the results which I watched in CNN.

The train service is awesome and nice picture.

Anonymous said...

The Story of Tibet: Conversations with the Dalai Lama, by Thomas Laird will give you interesting background about Tibet, and this railway.

http://thestoryoftibet.com/
http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6363862.html
http://www.groveatlantic.com/grove/bin/wc.dll?groveproc~book~3354


Amazon editors picked Story of Tibet as one of the best religion and spirituality books of 2006. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/1000021031/ref=amb_link_3907372_26/002-0168228-5328021


Barnes and Nobles recommends Story of Tibet as one of its Holiday Gift books.
http://btob.barnesandnoble.com/giftguide/holiday.asp?PID=13125&z=y&btob=Y&bnit=H%20HZ=Y%20H%20HZ=Y%20H%20HZ=Y%20H%20HZ=Y&hgg=y

Sanjay said...

@priya.. thanks

@anonymous.. thank you for all that useful info.

meno said...

Today is a good day.

Cacophoenix said...

one down, two to go...I meant the three misguided musketeers

Diana said...

Hi Sanjay! Just hopping around to all the blogs of my liberal friends and acquaintences, dancing the happy dance and passing out cake. With the results as of now, I may be close to popping open the champagne!

I haven't been this hopeful in years and years.

Sanjay said...

@Meno.. amen. :)

@Cacophoenix..lol

@Diana.. Thank you for stopping by.
I have some hope fonally nopt that I was very pessimistic but worried yes.

Id it is said...

NY city, I love it too.
Pelosi is also the first ever woman speaker of this country!
Another loser who also lost his post of defense secretary today! Rid of Rumsfeld; at last. Though what captain abandons ship midst a storm. He's abandoned those poor American soldiers in Iraq who are their as a part of his military plan to bring peace and democracy to Iraq!

Keshi said...

Good news indeed. Shows how much of a change Americans want. A job well-done guys!

Keshi.

MoDigli said...

WE DID IT!!!!

Yes!!!!

I voted with a little trepidation - "would it really matter?" I thought - I just didn't want to get my hopes up and face another disapointment if it didn't turn out the way I'd been hoping. But I still voted, and then held my breath. ....

And it's all GOOD NEWS! YES YES YES!!!!

Bring it on, Nancy! Bring it ON! :)

MoDigli said...

AND Rummy is OUT, too! WOW!

Ameet said...

Congratulations! Today's a good day to be an American.

Lucia said...

It's about time things turned around a bit. Above and beyond any election, Rumsfeld being out is something to celebrate.

oldwhitelady said...

I went to bed last night, clueless. I hadn't listened to the news or the tv. This morning was soon enough. AND BOY WAS I SHOCKED! AND PLEASED! Spring in step.. oh, yeah. Me too:)

moegirl said...

Nice to see now the House and the Senate...thankfully, light in the tunnel, and not the light of an on-coming train...

Sanjay said...

@Id.. agreed abt rummy.. good riddance.

@Keshi.. thanks

@Mo.. welcome back from your blog break. It does feel good. :)


@Ameet. Indeed!

@OWL.. I went to bed at midnight was pretty sure which way this was gonna go by that point. Feels good.

@Moe.. hopefully yes light at the end of a tunnel.

@Lucia. I remember when they called rummy a sex symbol for older folks after 911. We have come a long ways.