Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Quick Takes

Things That Made Me Shake My Head..

We now need incentives for students to do what they are expected to do anyways if they want to finish school?

Wyoming girl gets new car for good attendance. In the latest set of incentives for high school students to stay in school, prizes of $10,000 or a new car are being given away in at least a half dozen school districts in the US. Some say paying doesn't pay off, given flat graduation rate changes.



Kaytie Christopherson won a $28,000 Chevrolet Colorado crew cab pickup truck in a prize drawing to reward good attendance.

Update: I grew up under less than ideal circumstances, and it was always drilled in to me that the only chance I had to get somewhere better in life was to do well at school or else I was screwed. So ya maybe I am from a different time, place, planet.

Does it make you feel better that we are not the only country that has “issues” with evolution? From a diary on dailykos

Evangelical church leaders in Kenya are attempting to force the national museum to shove the world's greatest collection of hominid fossils into a dusty back room. Richard Leakey, whose family collected many of these fossils, including a nearly complete skeleton of Homo erectus, is fighting the attempt

"The Christian community here is very uncomfortable that Leakey and his group want their theories presented as fact," said Bishop Bonifes Adoyo, head of the largest Pentecostal church in Kenya, the Christ is the Answer Ministries. "Our doctrine is not that we evolved from apes, and we have grave concerns that the museum wants to enhance the prominence of something presented as fact which is just one theory," the bishop said.
I found the original link at science blogs.

Perspective



And Cos Sometimes A Simpler View Of The World Helps Us All ;-) (link)

Click on it for a better view.

25 comments:

Neers said...

heyy... this is so true and so well put! i like the simplistic view of the world! and do we really need all those rewards for being at school??

John said...

Map of the new world order?? ;)

Asha said...

In our county, if you do min. of 5 APs in HS and score more than 3/5 you will be entered for a draw to get a brand new car! Kids do try:))

Sai said...

Hmm....about the incentives for school attendance....it only happens in America

About the American view of the world....well if you need incentives to go to school....then this is how you will learn geography.

Maggie said...

Oh this is so poignant. Kids are being given cars to go to school. A privilege kids in a lot of other countries have to fight for - remembering the mention of a teacher who was disembowelled for teaching girls in school. Maybe we should stop seeing the world in such a damn simplistic view and start understanding what our freedom means for us, and how much we have to appreciate.

Ok - rant over. I just wish kids these days were taught to appreciate things instead of feel entitled to things.

Sanjay said...

@Neers.. Thanks, thats what I was wondering too about the rewards.

@John.. LOL

@Sai.. Bingo!

@Asha.. I am not sure I understand that but color me clueless :)

@Maggie.. That was a needed and a good rant. I see your point having grown up with a lot less than what kids have these days, all I had was the knowledge that I had to do well at school to get someplace in life. No other incentives needed, but hey I am from a different time.

Intern said...

I want rewards ...
I used to attend classes come whatever may ... Now I feel How stupid of me!

Shionge said...

How 'uneducated' one can be just to be rewarded for getting an education. Yo wakey wakey!!!!

Astral said...

I wanna go back to school :) :)

Diana said...

You and I are from the same planet. I also have a problem with parents paying their kids to get good grades, but maybe that's just jealousy.

I want a large poster of that perspective picture.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Rewarded for going to school? In my day, the only reward WE got was NOT getting our behinds smacked with dad's belt when we got home.

Pfffft...kids nowadays....

Aditi said...

the map was funny..
the incentives bit just plain sad

priya said...

Thaz was so true with the map. Wonder where else they can go hmm mars and moon too.

Cars for school students. If its India I can't think of road but a flying car jammed in skies. Recognition is less in India compared to here.

M (tread softly upon) said...

The map is hilarious.

Lotus Reads said...

Like Astral, I want to go back to school!

My first visit to your blog...I'll be back!

Carrie said...

I'm guilty. My dad and I negotiated school. He gave me two dollars a day to go to school (high school) and if I missed, I had to pay him. School was really hard with all the gangs and stuff.

Lucia said...

I've got to wonder if we all sound like our parents did to us when we were kids. "Back in my day..."

Oh, yeah, and the evolution thing...not surprising at all for Kenya.

Id it is said...

That bit about evolution and then being 'rewarded' for going to school pretty much prepares one for the World Map that follows! Not surprising is it?

Keshi said...

that reward was plain crazy!

Keshi.

starry nights said...

I am with you on this.I was also taught that a good education was expected from us .I dont think rewards should be the incentive to stay in school.

Enyur said...

Hmmm...the school better start worrying about going broke if every student starts showing up for class lol!

deepsat said...

good incentives.. but the impact can be bad!!

its not a smart approach for kids

Sugarlips said...

Its time to go back to school but I'm not gonna accept a pick up truck...How about a Merc?

Stay Beautiful...!!

Sanjay said...

Thanks folks for all your kind comments. :-)

liberalfoodie said...

it's really sad that the schools have to give students cars and money to finish schools. I am not too old and I remember when my parents said "if you don't finish, you're on your own." That was plenty for me to be scared and want to finish. Life in this day and age is pretty damn hard without a high school degree, especially trying to make ends meet with bi-weekly paychecks from a fast food chain.