Wednesday, January 17, 2007

I Got Nothin!

Avocado dip shortage on superbowl sunday? ;) kidding..
Link
Approximately $480 million worth of California citrus fruit has been destroyed in four nights of below freezing temperatures that damaged at least 50 percent of the total crop, and catapulted the billion-dollar industry "in the category of a disaster," Bob Blakely of California Citrus Mutual told CNN.

Avocados grown in Ventura County have also been damaged by the record-setting cold weather, but no financial figures related to the impact on that sector are yet available, said Lyle.

I heard some of this on NPR. Apparently the single biggest consumption of Avocados happens on Super Bowl Sunday..all those dips!

John McCain Just Another Politician...
Link

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (AP) -- Sen. John McCain said Tuesday he hopes to patch things up with conservative Christian leader James Dobson, who recently said he wouldn't support the Republican's presidential bid under any circumstances.

In a radio interview with KCBI, a Dallas Christian station, Dobson argued that McCain didn't support traditional marriage values and said he has prayed "we won't get stuck with him." Dobson is founder of Focus on the Family, based in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"I'm obviously disappointed and I'd like to continue and have a dialogue with Dr. Dobson and other members of the community," McCain said Tuesday during a stop in Columbia.

It’s called sucking up Sen McCain, which I know politicians do, but I wish our idiot press would stop calling him a “Maverick” or a “Straight Talker”.

Easy Way To Nirvana...
And I present another cliche about India. ;)


Might as well throw one more out there..
From here

26 comments:

deepsat said...

LOL!!! liked that approach for Nirvana!!! Heard abt the fake sage in India who was caught a few years back - apparently he had sex wid a bunch of women with the promise that they would attain Nirvana!! finally it was he got all the Nirvana!! Now he is cooling his heels without Nirvana!! :-))

Maggie said...

I like your sucking up comment for Sen McCain and you're right, for all the touting him as a straight shooter, he sure is pussy-footing for votes.

If I have to go without avocadoes I don't know what I'll do! They're my favorite fruit. Ahhhhh.

Sai said...

Hey:
I heard the news about citrus fruit on NPR this morning. Hey I want my guacamole! :D :D

Oy! to the many cliches about India. BTW these "sadhus" creep me out! There is absolutely nothing "sadhu" about them.

Christine said...

I can do without that green baby poo, err, I mean Guacamole-- but I simply can't bear the thought of not having limes for my Corona!8)

Mridula said...

When someone says Nirvana, I am immediately reminded of my nephews who play his music so loudly :) It takes a minute to register that there is other Nirvana too.

Asha said...

What is wrong with some of us Indians?! They never sieze to amaze me!Height of stupidity.
Avocado,better not abondon me!!:)

Mona Buonanotte said...

John McCain can kiss my lily white butt.

priya said...

Nirvana and Santa wow both so weird in their own world.

Shionge said...

Oh Yes, I read abut those citrus fruits and also the snow oh gosh! I'll freeze for sure.

Intern said...

Yeah saw that news coverage of fruits being destryed. sad!

Ohh religious pundits are very cortroversial figures ... Indian / American /Anywhere... not to forget the controvery surrounding so many priests here ...

Nancy Willing said...

wow, I was up at that hour too but only cause I had not gone to sleep yet....
If the Dobson crew can't hang with McCain, no need to enquire about Rudy.

Lotus Reads said...

Those Sadhu pics never fail to make me smile...I used to have a collection of them with my favorite being a Sadhu sporting a brand new pair of Oakleys and a big smile!

Never been partial to avocados even though my mom has a couple of avocado trees in her backyard.

lalitha said...

Nirvana indeed. No Avacados for super bowl,You will have to do with Salsa.

ML said...

I love avocados and it breaks my heart that there will be a shortage! Bummer!

meno said...

I'm off to the store to hoard avacados! Sad for those farmers. :(

John McCain; why would he want the support of those crazy ass right wing religious nuts. Focus on the family indeed, as long as it's MY idea of a family. Bah!

Orchid said...

You are worried about avocado...geez! I just need that Vitamin C if I going to get through the rest of this arctic, wintry...whatever they call it!
LOL, if only nirvana was that easy :)

I knew you were an NPR guy.

Cheers!

Fuzzylogic said...

This unreliable weather must be so heavy on the farmers.Sad that so much of their fruit crop has to be destroyed.I need the avocadoes,more than me it's my little one,there are days when she won't eat anything but them!
Lol about the nirvana pic!Maybe he was trying to scale new heights of Nirvana:)But frankly all these sadhoos creep me out,there are way too many fake ones than the actual enlightened ones.

Lucia said...

Who cares about the oranges? But I'm headed to California to bodily throw myself over the avocados, at least enough so I can have guacamole on Superbowl Sunday.

Keshi said...

LOL desperado u know alot abt sages ha? :):)

hahahaha @that last pic!

Keshi.

Ash said...

Cool photos there!

Sanjay said...

Thanks for all your comments people. :)

Diana said...

We've tons of the lovely avocados now, too bad they won't freeze for next year.

Selfish me, all I can thing is that the oranges next year will suck even more than the ones this year.

iz said...

Love the India cliches.
And you lousy! You haven't blogrolled me yet! Do I have to call you Gautam again? Huh? Huh? Huh?

MONA said...

it is sad when natural disasters like this happen.[ avocados]. So much labour gone to waste is such a setback to the orchard owners and the farmers.Here one is forced to think about something like destiny...

That Sadhu looks a frightening sight...self effacement or self torture?..some misplaced sense. It is all ignorance and illiteracy that leads to such grotesque acts!

Sugarlips said...

Saadhu pics are funny & creepy :)

I heard the Avacado news...I love
gualcamole dips :)

Stay Beautiful..!!

Prometheus_Unbound said...

The second snap of the sadhu and Santa was wonderful. Really epitmoises the diversity/ contradictions of our country.