China Is Growing So Fast You Can See The Progress From Space..
A GREAT coal rush is under way across China on a scale not seen anywhere since the 19th century.Meanwhile Louisiania Is Sinking
Its consequences have been detected half a world away in toxic clouds so big that they can seen from space, drifting across the Pacific to California laden with microscopic particles of chemicals that cause cancer and diseases of the heart and lung.
(it's a glacial pace though).. link
NEW ORLEANS - A new report by scientists studying Louisiana's sinking coast says the land here is not just sinking, it's sliding ever so slowly into the Gulf of Mexico. The new findings may add a kink to plans being drawn up to build bigger and better levees to protect this historic city and Cajun bayou culture.Well it might be global warming and rising sea levels that we might need to worry about first.
The report, which appeared in December's Geophysical Research Letters, a peer-reviewed journal published by the American Geophysical Union, says the bedrock under heavily populated southeast Louisiana is breaking away at a glacial speed — at the pace fingernails grow.
Did I depress you folks?
On a lighter note....
Oddities From The Year Before... link
- While "Miss Israel" Yael Nezri was exempted from carrying her assault rifle in the Israeli army because it bruised her beauty queen legs, "Mr Switzerland" Renzo Blumenthal lured lonely women who hate soccer to his country for the World Cup.
- Careless thieves once again made headlines round the world. A burglar in Germany left behind a vital clue - his finger tip.
"We usually find finger prints but it's not every day that the thieves leave the original there too," a police spokesman said. It took only a few hours to track down the thief.
- A Jordanian salesman was arrested for trying to fleece a money exchanger with a fake ID card bearing a Brad Pitt picture.
- In Vienna, burglars fled after finding eight severed human heads. A dentist had stored the mummified heads for research.
- Village leaders in India ordered 150 men to dip their hands in boiling oil to prove their innocence after food was stolen.
In Cologne, a plastic surgeon cheated out of payment by two women using fake names gave "wanted" pictures of their enlarged breasts to police.
"It's probably the most unusual 'wanted' poster police ever had," wrote top-selling Bild newspaper, which helpfully published life-size pictures of the boosted breasts.
- Two women working at the German Labour Office got into trouble for writing emails at work moaning about their dull sex lives - and sending the exchange to thousands of co-workers.
- A pilot of Air Canada's Jazz subsidiary got locked out of the cockpit after stepping out to go to the washroom.
- Three doctors in India were caught by a TV camera agreeing to amputate healthy limbs of beggars who wanted more sympathy.
And in Finland, a court ruled against a woman in her 20s who charged a 74-year-old man €25,500 ($42,685) to fondle her breasts on 10 occasions.
"Based on general life experience, it is indisputably clear that a €25,500 charge is disproportionate to the compensation in question," Judge Hasse Hakki said.