Wednesday, January 24, 2007

A Tag And The State Of The Union Address By Dear Leader

Tag.
I was tagged by the not-so artful dodger a while back. I have a couple more to do later. But here goes...

If I were an animal/ bird: A bald eagle, the national bird of the United States. I absolutely love it. It’s a beautiful majestic bird. An interesting fact.. One of our nations founding fathers Benjamin Franklin was opposed to the eagle being our national symbol. Here is what he had to say as per Wikipedia.



For my own part I wish the Bald Eagle had not been chosen the Representative of our Country. He is a Bird of bad moral character. He does not get his Living honestly. You may have seen him perched on some dead Tree near the River, where, too lazy to fish for himself, he watches the Labour of the Fishing Hawk; and when that diligent Bird has at length taken a Fish, and is bearing it to his Nest for the Support of his Mate and young Ones, the Bald Eagle pursues him and takes it from him.

With all this Injustice, he is never in good Case but like those among Men who live by Sharping & Robbing he is generally poor and often very lousy. Besides he is a rank Coward: The little King Bird not bigger than a Sparrow attacks him boldly and drives him out of the District. He is therefore by no means a proper Emblem for the brave and honest country of America who have driven all the King birds from our Country...

I am on this account not displeased that the Figure is not known as a Bald Eagle, but looks more like a Turkey. For the Truth the Turkey is in Comparison a much more respectable Bird, and withal a true original Native of America . . . He is besides, though a little vain & silly, a Bird of Courage, and would not hesitate to attack a Grenadier of the British Guards who should presume to invade his Farm Yard with a red Coat on.

If I were a vehicle: A hybrid, preferably a Toyota Prius. What the car says about me (and *A*)... it says, I don’t care for power, don’t mind paying more for technology that is a bit more expensive than a conventional car but which does reduce carbon emissions and is fuel efficient. When we first bought it there was a waiting period and the Prius was not that common. Now I see a lot more of them around. Our neighborhood has about 4 of them including a Honda hybrid. Toyota plans to up with a plug–in hybrid where you can drive the first 40 or so miles purely in electric mode. I get about 52-55 miles per gallon (mpg) in the summer on a mix of highway and local driving and less in the winter, around 42-45 mpg.

If I were a comic character: Batman. He has no “special” powers it just his own abilities.

If I were a city: I would be NYC without a doubt. I love NYC, having lived there for a couple of years. It’s got people from all over the US and the world. It has culture, the arts, music, restaurants and things that are uniquely New York. There ain’t another place like New York period.

If I were an art form : I would be abstract. For, you do not always have to depict everything as it occurs in the natural world. I want at times to be reduced to my bare essentials. Is that a reduction? Now now.. bare essentials has nothing to do with clothing or lack of it ok? I guess it's a Victoria's Secret line of lingerie?

If I were a color: Yellow. It signifies warmth, caution and intellect. Apparently too much of yellow also cause exhaustion and ya too much mental activity. I can identify with that.

If I were a film star: It would be Matt Damon. He does not have great looks and he is very underrated as an actor . He just morphs into any role so effortlessly, it is amazing to watch.

If I were a vegetable: Potato. Simple, unpretentious and goes with anything. I can eat anything that has potato in it, and I never tire of it.

If I were a fabric: Cotton as that famous line from “fruit of the loom” goes... It’s the fabric of our lives.

If I were a gizmo: a computer that had broadband access to the internet. I can surf, read blogs, the news, bank, communicate, work and also make phone calls and of course play games online.

State Of The Union Address

I know some of you cannot bare to watch dear leader, so instead I present this video that I found at Atrios's blog. BTW he makes a a special mention of the blogosphere. :)



Well if you got a laugh out of it, thats good eh?

26 comments:

Shionge said...

I love eagle Sanjay :D

And oh oh....I love potatoes too :D

Eli said...

The bald eagle sounds like the perfect symbol for our country these days...


Can a couch potato be considered a vegetable?

Eli said...

D'oh, forgot to use my new address.

deepsat said...

"Batman. He has no “special” powers it just his own abilities." That makes you the real Man!!!

;-))

Sanjay said...

@Shionge.. :)

@Eli.. I agree. Thats why I sort of put that lil bit from wikipedia after I read about it.

@Deepsat.. I can only wish man.. I can only wish.

Lucia said...

Zowie, Sanjay! POW! Batman, huh?

Sai said...

Hey I love the tag...I share the vehicle, city, art and fabric with you.

Diana said...

Franklin is so right. We've tons of wild turkeys around here. They're usually shy, but I've seen a flock of strutting males (and they are BIG birds) seeming to terrorize a family a few years ago. The birds were stalking all around the yard and the family was in the house with their horrified faces plastered to the window.

I'd not have had the courage to face them, either, to shoo them away.

Asha said...

Loved the MeMe Sanjay! You have to say Toyota Prius,ofcourse.Bald Eagle is more Arvind!:D
No comments on the leader!

Lera said...

"If I were a vegetable: Potato. Simple, unpretentious and goes with anything. I can eat anything that has potato in it, and I never tire of it...." That was simply great, The answers to life's
questions.

Sanjay said...

@Lucia.. yup.. Batman.

@Sai... Thanks. You folks drive a Prius too?

@Diana. Interesting you do live in the country though. I had no idea that Turkeys could be aggressive.

@Asha. lol @ bald eagle = Arvind.

@Lera. Thanks for stopping by. Am a person of simple tastes when it comes to food. ;)

ML said...

Great answers, yet again. Your answers are so well thought out and well written!

I'm with you on the bald eagle - they're just incredible, and potatoes rule!

Lotus Reads said...

Another great meme with great responses, Sanjay!

It's true, the Bald Eagle is probably the most majestic-looking bird there is today, good thing you didn't let Franklin's poor opinion of the bird change your mind! :)

I love Newyork city too- there's a vibe to it that's hard to find elsewhere!

And Amen to the Prius!

Now to go and amuse myself with the video you found for us...

Aditi said...

oh come on .. matt damon totally is good looking... but besides that... good tag

Mona Buonanotte said...

"...bare essentials..."...now you've got my mind elsewhere!

That video...both funny and sad in it's realism.

beenzzz said...

I like your answers. I also thought the new state of the union speech was hilarious. It was certainly more interesting that the one I watched (all the way through) lastnight!

Sanjay said...

@ml.. Thanks.

@Lotus. Thanks.I actually do think Franklin makes a good point about why the Turkey should have been the national bird. These days we in the US seem to be wanting to live up to some of the -ve aspects of the bald eagle.

@Aditi. :) Thanks

@Mona.. We all need a little distraction.

@Beenzzz.. Thanks I saw the entire speech too. It was not as bad partly cos W does not have a majority in the Congress anymore to act more imperial.

starry nights said...

I love the eagle, always thought it was a very strong bird.But now after reading this post I have to agree the turkey would have been a better pick for our national bird. I love NYC also.visited a couple of times and would love to live there.I flipped through the state of the union address.

listmaker said...

I'm trying to talk my husband into buying a hybrid the next time we buy a car.

Have you ever seen an eagle in the wild? They're very impressive.

meno said...

Plus Batman is sexy too!

Great video, i did laugh, thanks.

Carrie said...

I've got to remember to watch when I get home.

I love your answers on the meme. You sound like such a well rounded good person. Too bad there aren't more you's in the world. :)

Keshi said...

hey u potato eagle, I still love u the way u r, no matter what :)

Cool tag!
Keshi.

Sanjay said...

@Starry .. thanks.I would love living in NYC too except its too darn expensive.

@Meno. :)

@Carrie. I am ok and not quite where I want to be as a person. Thank you for the kind words.

@Keshi..lol @ potato eagle. Thanks buddy!

Teri said...

my daughter's name means "from the valley of eagles."

There are days I regret naming her for an animal that screams loudly and tears all its food apart... ;)

Neers said...

* HUGE SMILE *

Anali said...

I like your description of the color yellow. It's warm and sunny, but I like the caution part too. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I have to disagree about Matt Damon though. I think he's a cutie! But I agree he is a great actor!

And this is the second blog I've read talking about drinking during the SOTU address. I should have had one myself to take the edge off. Oh well...