Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Wacky Warnings..Jon Stewart.. Shrub's Upcoming Iraq Speech..Nerd & Edible Sutras..

Wacky eh? Link

A washing machine complete with a warning not to put anybody inside has been given an award for the "wackiest warning" by a US lobby group.

The Michigan Lawsuit Abuse Watch says the tendency of Americans to sue companies has gone too far, encouraging absurd warning labels on products.
But others say warning labels can play a role in protecting the public.

An engine manufacturer which warned "Never use a lit match or open flame to check fuel level" won second prize.

Warnings not to dry wet mobile phones in microwave ovens and not to iron lottery tickets tied for third place.

Honorable mentions went to a phonebook which advised: "Please do not use this directory while operating a moving vehicle".

Jon Stewart... Link.
The link has a nice essay at common dreams about Jon Stewart's Gandhian struggle.
Jon Stewart wages a daily satyagraha, an on-going nonviolent struggle in which he clings to the truth, Gandhi-style, making us laugh as he gets us to think. As a result, Stewart, on his fake news show, often does a better job revealing what's going on in the world than the real news media. That's why so many young people turn to his show for their daily news, and that's why I'm glued to the boob tube every night.
Now, let me be the first to say, Jon Stewart is no Gandhi. Moments of profound wisdom are interspersed on his show with fart jokes and penis humor only a twelve-year-old boy could really enjoy. And I'm writing with tongue at least partially planted in cheek, as I sincerely doubt Stewart ever gathered his writers together and proclaimed, "Hey, kids! Let's put on a Gandhian show!" One of the beauty's of Gandhi's method, however, is that anybody, even a late night comedian on basic cable, can use it, albeit in this case unwittingly.
Think about the underlying truths hiding in what appear at first to be casually tossed off one-liners: "War-in many ways it's the only remaining obstacle to peace." Or (as a professor this one's my personal favorite) on the Iraq Study Group report: "I'm glad they got a study group together, but the test was three years ago."

I also liked one of his memorable exchanges from the daily show...

When Anderson Cooper told him CNN has a "sense of mission," Stewart asked, "When's it gonna show on air?" His tenacity in holding on to the truth as his interviewees try to spin it showed clearly when he debated marriage with Bill Bennett:

JS: Why not encourage gay people to join in that family arrangement if that is what provides stability to a society?

BB: Well, I think...gay people are already members of families. They're sons and they're daughters.

JS: So that's where the buck stops? That's the gay ceiling.

BB: Look, it's a debate about whether you think marriage is between a man and a woman.

JS: I disagree. I think it's a debate about whether you think gay people are part of the human condition or just a random fetish.
Preznit's Iraq Speech

Well we know what he is gonna say, but the thing that bothers me.. He is gonna propose a 1 billion dollar jobs program for Iraqis. To put this in context, we are cutting money for public housing in the US. While driving home I heard on the radio that the public housing authority in Philadelphia is laying off some 300 hundred workers which includes police officers, case workers and maintenance folks. The reason? They have gotten only 75% of the normal amount that they get from the federal government.
Not a surprise that the poor are getting shafted is it? The rich must get their tax cuts because they are so burdened. Iraqis get job programs while our own citizens get screwed. I am gonna watch his speech but I will have some wine or something to ease my pain of having to watch, but watch I must.

Nerd & Edible Sutras..

The last in the series I promise. Link..



30 comments:

artnavy said...

edible sutras- hilarious and

the warnings- wish we had a share of the loot from corporates in india- here it is just the opposite - consumer BEWARE else bad luck.

deepsat said...

after consumers its the companies who are getting paranoid now!! better to be safe than sued!!!
edible sutras is really funny!!!

;-))

Lucia said...

I'm terrified of what the prez will say, but it's kind of watching a train wreck, isn't it?

Diana said...

You're a better person than me. I don't know if I can steel myself to watch it as I'll find myself yelling at the tube and the kids don't need to see that. Maybe with 2 glasses of wine?

Sanjay said...

@Artnavy.. I hear what you say.

@Deepsat..Thanks.

@Lucia. It's sort of easy to guess what he might say. Another attempt to repackage the disaster that is Iraq. He is just biding time till he leaves office.

Paresh said...

ooo naughty food. me likey.

Sanjay said...

@Diana..yep a glass or two of wine should help with the pain of having to watch him!

Shitrint said...

that sutra part of the post is most interesting!
ahem..i went thru the whole link u provided...
nice! ;-)

Sai said...

I loved the nerd sutras....that is really clever. I will check the link later. I don't want anyone at work to think that I am visiting "weird sites" on company's time ;-)

Asha said...

What's happening with you these days with all the sutra pics?!:D

We all already know what Bush guy is going to say!Why bother!

Sanjay said...

@Paresh.. some nice ideas buried there eh?

@Shitrint.. Yep it was interesting indeed.

@Sai.. Yep I know what you mean, I looked up that link at home too.

@Asha.. Do I come across as sutra obsessed? ;-)
I have to watch him to know what he will say and ofcourse watch his expressions.

listmaker said...

You're absolutely right about Jon Stewart's appeal to young people. My son works in mainstream news, but who does he prefer to watch on his own time - Jon Stewart.

As for the president's speech, I just don't think I can stand to watch it. I know I should, maybe I'll try, but I usually can't get past his first 20 words without yelling rude things at the tv.

Dan said...

Please do not use this directory while operating a moving vehicle.

Party poopers!

Lotus Reads said...

Sutras again? Hilarious! :) Funnily enough I was going to do a post on books as wedding presents and ofcourse the Kamasutra headed my list, but I've shelved it for the time being!

And no, I'm not planning on watching Bush's speech - I couldn't bear to spoil a perfectly good evening!

Something to Say said...

Looks like one of jay leno's wisecracks will soon come true. The prez is announcing job progs, housing progs and medical progs for the iraqis. We should import that one for our guys here.
he said that 2 yrs ago - and looks like it mite just come true.

Mona Buonanotte said...

...and that's why I love Jon Stewart.

I can't watch The Scrub, I want to throw things at the tv, and that's bad for the kids to witness.

I WANT that birthday cake! (In a special one-on-one celebration with my spouse, that is...!)

Mona Buonanotte said...

I meant to say 'The Shrub', but my fingers were all twisted in a middle-finger salute to the guy....

starry nights said...

Edible sutras he he he. I love jon stewart and enjoy watching the show.

Sanjay said...

@Listmaker.. I agree with you. The only tv we watch is the daily show, food tv, bbc and PBS/C-Span. Your son watching the daily show says a lot.

@Dan.. lol.

@Lotus.. This is the last of the sutra posts..for now. 

@Something to say. You are so right. I remember that.

@Mona lol..:) I will watch the shrub in a different room so that *A* does not have to suffer both him and my rants.

@Starry. .. yep he is one sane place on teevee, says a lot about the teevee news biz..

Maggie said...

I wouldn't be too awful surprised if this Iraq job program had leading contracts going to people like, say Haliburton....

Fuzzylogic said...

The nerd sutra is funny,the edible one is innovative but No,I wouldn't want that to be my b'day cake!:)
I love Jon stewart show,some jokes are lame but as you say he is one sane voice on television.I would perhaps watch Bush speech,maybe if he gets me off I would mute it and watch(I love my big screen tv,I wouldn't want to harm it in any way)He makes such a funny caricature!Iraqi job program is just another way of cashing in on a situation the corporate way without any good coming out of it.

Carrie said...

Oh dear, I wasn't looking forward to another bumbling speach by Dubya. I'm so glad that this is the last year. I don't know if I will watch or not. He never answers any questions and lies through his teeth.

I think that the number one label should read "Tonight during the speech of our nations president, please do not believe anything he says and over estimate any amount of money that he suggests".

Keshi said...

that cake is a shocker LOL!

Keshi.

Shionge said...

LOL - You make me laugh so hard Sanjay :D I like that edible sutra..I'll eat that yummy cake (so that my hormone will soar furtheer ;) - and than I'll keep the little dollies :D

Gangadhar said...

Wah,Sanjay,
edible sutras's too gud..You're just fantastic in finding these stuff..
keep finding..tnx..

iz said...

Fantastic stuff Gautam! Mind if I link you?

iz said...

Ok now you can put me down as certified insane and incapable of getting someone's name right. Pleeeeeese forgive me SANJAY SANJAY SANJAY! Maybe i was just too amazed by your blog to concentrate on what i was typing. Is it working?

Sanjay said...

@Maggie.. The most patriotic amongst them ;)

@Fuzzylogic.. True abt Jon Stewart, some of his good stuff mroe than makes up for the lame stuff.

@Carrie.. Word!

@Shionge.. ;)

@Ganga.. Thanks

@Iz..lol freel free to link me, and don't worry about the name. Is there a hunk called "Gautam" that was perhaps on your mind when you typed this up? ;)

ML said...

Hilarious cake!

The glass of wine sounds like a good numbing agent. Have two, that's even better.

Heather Flanagan said...

I think you would be interested in this video about Bernie Meyer who has traveled the world portraying Gandhi:

http://pugettown.wordpress.com/2007/01/19/