Monday, February 26, 2007

Monday Fluff....

Women doing pole dancing as empowerment? Link



KINNELON, N.J. — Johnna Cottam was showing a group of her girlfriends how to do a move called the Fireman. As music by Shakira played, she strode up to grab the portable pole in the living room of her well-appointed lakefront home here, wrapped her right leg around it, swung wide with her left, and spun. When she reached the bottom, Ms. Cottam, in a pink “Got Pole?” tank top and black workout pants, tossed her hair back, mudflap-girl style.
“Kick it right out of the ballpark, just kick it,” she encouraged her five friends and neighbors.
Pole dancing, once exclusively the province of exotic dancers, has flared up as a much-hyped Hollywood exercise craze, and has seeped into the collective unconscious through shows like “The Sopranos” and “Desperate Housewives.” A variant called motorized pole dancing, which occurs in stretch limos, has raised eyebrows as far away as Britain, where some female university students pole-danced as a fund-raiser for testicular cancer. And mini-poles have even been spotted as dance props at over-the-top bat mitzvah parties in suburban precincts.
Over the top alright!
“I want the women to feel strong within themselves,” explained Ms. Cottam, 29, who teaches pole dancing at a local gym as well as at home parties. Noting that some middle-aged suburban women lose themselves and their sense of sexuality as they are consumed by the responsibilities of motherhood, she added: “When you come to my class you are beautiful, you are. I want to show them that strength inside, and unleash that sexual kitten.”
I really don’t have a whole lot to comment about here, other than to say that I am an observer of the zeitgeist of this particular strata of society. It does not bother me that some women might think this empowers them, and if it helps them get their love lives more spiced up more power to them.
I do wonder about the need to appear so overtly sexualized, but whatever works I guess.

Wonder If It Is Time To Attack Germany..
Found here..
German Float
Sunday, 25 February 2007

A float depicting U.S. President George W. Bush being spanked by the Statue Of Liberty passes by during the Rose Monday carnival parade in Mainz, western Germany, on Monday, Feb. 19, 2007. Thousands of spectators attended the traditional street carnival parade in the state of Rhineland-Palatinates's capital.

25 comments:

Aditi said...

I have heard pole dancing is getting popular as a fun exercise routine..
but the float was quite funny
I dont think germany can be squeezed into the already expansive plans of invading countries but one never knows

Lucia said...

This post reminded me of a King of Queens episode, where she took up pole dancing to be sexy, but was really BAD at it, which, well, doesn't quite work. These women may be getting a workout, but I'm not so sure about sexual empowerment...

Asha said...

LOL @ the Bushie being spanked!! He needs some!!;D

Pole dancing; I don't think THAT empowers women!! But it's definitely another choice for keeping yourself fit,I think.Whatever rocks their boats!

Anali said...

I think the pole dancing looks fun, but I'm not sure about the empowerment thing, except that you literally would need to be physically strong to do it. And if it add some spice, what the heck? Why not?

patches said...

Jazzercise, line dancing, belly dancing, and pole dancing, any guesses about the next craze? I wish I had thought of the German float idea first...

Dan said...

Pole dancing taking place right up the road from me! Oh yeah! Thanks for the info.

Jay, you never call anymore, or visit. Your father and I are very disappointed in you, my lad. Very.

meno said...

As long as people are getting exercise that's good. It would make me feel silly. I am not really into unleashing my inner sex kitten in public.

Love that float. Wonder if we'll see one here in the Easter parade.

Mona Buonanotte said...

I love the float! I'm laughing my heiney clean off!

Maggie said...

Lady Liberty's got it right!

beenzzz said...

HAHA! The float pic of "W," is priceless!!! Why would you want to pole dance as a form of empowerment?

ML said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ML said...

I've heard about the pole dancing thing. However, I doubt very much it would do a thing for me. I'm thinking more along the lines of feeling and looking like a complete idiot!

Love that picture of Bush!

Diana said...

As for the pole dancing, what ever floats your boat. As for the float, well, that's just brilliant.

Lotus Reads said...

I think pole dancing is an excellent way to get fit, but I could hardly call it empowering. Exercise can be hard for many women and I think pole dancing, belly dancing and other dance forms help make exercise more fun for women,hence the craze.

I loved the float, it put a huge smile on my face. :)

Sugarlips said...

I have heard about the pole dancing too like others but I guess I'm better off with my 30 minutes walk everyday :) and the float made me laugh :)

Stay Beautiful...!

priya said...

Had a good laugh with the spank ones...

Pole dancing... I think it also keeps you fit as it works the whole body with different turns.

Keshi said...

I like Pole-dancing..whenever I see a pole u wud see me ard it LOL!

abt it empowering women...I dun think so!

Keshi.

Enyur said...

LOL @ the Bush float!!! Germany's really 'visual' about their feelings toward the U.S. President lol!

Sai said...

LOL at Bush being spanked and at pole dancing as well.

starry nights said...

I have heard a lot about women and pole dancing to keep fit.I think bush would be good at it.

deepsat said...

dunno if empowerment it is!

nice float!! he needs to get one for real!! LOL!!

chocolteluva said...

well.. pole dancing, as sexual and risky it might seem, is a FANTASTIC work out. it works your abs, quads, hams, calves, back, biceps, triceps.. you name it - it works.
no no. i havent tried it, but as a physical therapist, i get Q's about it from young women all the time and we have to analyze the work out to see what muscle's work and what dont.

so i guess nothing wrong, if ure getting a good work out and it makes you feel sexy inside, because if you feel sexy inside, it will show on the outside too.

Sanjay said...

Thank you for all your comments. Sorry been a bit busy.

Carrie said...

You aren't going to catch me on a pole.

Now that is one float that I would love to see. Why cant we have stuff here like that?

freespirit said...

Hey...i've done pole dancing ok! Its a different thing that I was 3 or 4 vodkas down on a mad saturday night out in Hong Kong, but it was fun! And hell, i felt great! The bar top had a special pole fitted just for this purpose and everyone who dared to get up there and shake their booty got free tequila shots! I had a ball....and also have pictures to prove that I was apparently quite good too :-)