Thursday, April 05, 2007

Orange-Almond Flan
Recipe from the New York Times ..link



Adapted from “Dulce lo Vivas,” by Ana Bensadón (Ediciones Martínez Roca)
Time: 1 hour 30 minutes, plus 2 hours’ chilling
3 cups granulated sugar
8 large egg yolks
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
3/4 cup whole blanched almonds, finely ground, or 1 cup finely ground almonds.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar with 1/4 cup water. Stir until completely dissolved. Place pan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until syrup begins to bubble. Stop stirring and allow pan to sit until syrup begins to turn golden at edges, brushing down any sugar crystals with a brush dipped in cold water. Occasionally rotate pan to mix syrup without stirring it, then replace over heat. Continue doing this until syrup is evenly golden brown. Pour caramel into an 8-inch round flan mold or cake pan, or 10 to 12 3-inch fluted molds, tilting to spread caramel evenly along bottom. Set aside.

2. In a medium saucepan, mix together remaining 2 cups sugar with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat, and boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool until lukewarm.

3. Whisk together yolks and whole eggs until blended, then pour through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Add orange zest, orange juice and ground almonds. Whisk in sugar syrup. Pour into caramel-lined mold or molds, filling to just below rim. Cover mold or molds tightly with foil.

4. Place mold or molds into a larger pan. Pour enough hot water into large pan to reach halfway up side of flan mold. Bake until a knife inserted halfway into flan comes out clean, 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on type of pan and oven used.

5. Allow flan to cool, then refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, at least 2 hours. Just before serving, warm base of pan by dipping it briefly in a pan of hot water. Invert onto a plate, and serve immediately.

Yield: 8 servings with large mold; 10 to 12 with smaller molds.

Notes:
I pretty much followed the recipe, since this was the first flan I have ever made. Using freshly squeezed orange juice does make a difference, I thought the fresh citrus flavor came through really well combined with the orange zest. I did not use blanched almonds, just used the ones with skin that were then grated and they did not seem to make a difference.
By the way, I made two of them. There is no way that we can eat both, anyone want to stop by and pick one up?

22 comments:

listmaker said...

Sanjay, that looks wonderful.

Mona Buonanotte said...

You make food look SO sexy...!

patches said...

This makes me want to go grocery shopping...so that I can you k now cook and stuff. If the first flan, I saw looked as beautiful as yours I would have tried it.

Diana said...

Flan is such a wonderful comfort food, to me. Sweet and creamy but not cloying. Mmmmmmm. Maybe I'll actually make one myself one of these days...

Beenzzz said...

Flan is the food of the Gods!:) That looks so delicious.

Aditi said...

come to think of it i have never had flan.. ever.. but that looks good

Sanjay said...

@Listmaker ..Thanks

@Mona.. Thanks. I think it's the plate and not the flan. :)

@Patches. :) My experiences with flan have been really good, or it may be that the only time I have ahd flan is when it was made by a friend of ours. But this turned out well for a first timer.

@Diana. You describe it just right. :)

@Beenzzz. Thanks. It turned out well.

@Aditi. You are missing out on something good, you have to try it out.

Asha said...

Sajay,you are turning into a chef!!;))
Beautiful looking Flan.12 eggs are too much cholesterol just for two unless you are sharing with 8 ppl.Go easy:)

Lotus Reads said...

Oh my word, Sanjay, that looks simply wonderful(am salivating a river here). If you ever get tired of IT I think you could definitely start your own catering business! :)

Shitrint said...

that looks really mouth-watering!

if id be living somewhere in DE, id have just zoomed in picked up the second extra dish u made!
:)

how can u say your culinary skills are limited wen u whip up some cool dishes? ;-)

ML said...

Lovely! Everything, the picture, recipe and I'm coming over for one!

Sanjay said...

lol@Asha..Thanks I only cook when I drink ;). And not to worry re Cholesterol, my latest numbers are good and it's always about portion size no? :)

@Shitrint.. Thanks :)My culinary skills are indeed limited, they only create an illusion of being better under the inluence of some wine ;)

@ML..lol thanks :)

Carrie said...

Sounds rich!

Sanjay said...

@Lotus.. :-) Thanks. It did turn out to be ok.
Catering as an alternative/new career ? Interesting thought there :-)
Except like I said, since I can only cook when drinking, I don't think I would last long. ;-)
You have yourself a terrific Thor'sday ok :)

MONA said...

Oranges are coming in aplenty these days. I shall try that one. Thanks for the recipie
& how's it going my friend. I hope you are well
I hope your parents & 'A' are doing fine too.

Maggie said...

See the flan I had once before was awful and it looked awful to boot. But that one there, well I would try it and I'm betting I would love it. So yeah, I'll be by a little later...the drive could take me a while, say five or six days. You ok with that?

Sai said...

You are so talented! bTW I love flan a lot. can I stop by and pick the second one?

NainaAshley said...

That looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe.

Anali said...

Yes! I'll be stopping by to pick it up! But just in case it's not there when I arrive, I printed out the recipe! ; )

Nabeel said...

looks nice .. and looks like pudding or jello. How long does it take?

Sugarlips said...

*Hyper-salivating*
It looks delicious :)

Sorry couldn't catch up on your blog I was on vacations :)

Stay Beautiful..!

oldwhitelady said...

So, any of that flan left? I'm on my way, it looks delicious:)