Friday, April 13, 2007

R.I.P Kurt Vonnegut

There really is no Friday word today with Mona being a bit under the weather (get well soon!!). While reading the NYTimes this morning, I came across this lovely previously unpublished poem on the opinion page. The poem touched me in many ways and I absolutely love it. So here it is.
Accompanying photograph and text are also from the Times.

Poem

Worship

Published: April 13, 2007

I don't know about you,
but I practice a disorganized religion.
I belong to an unholy disorder.
We call ourselves,
"Our Lady of Perpetual Astonishment."
You may have seen us praying
for love
on sidewalks outside the better
eating establishments
in all kinds of weather.
Blow us a kiss
upon arriving or departing,
and we will climax
simultaneously.
It can be quite a scene,
especially if it is raining
cats and dogs



Kurt Vonnegut on the beach in East Hampton, N.Y., with his Lhasa apso, Pumpkin, on July 19, 1976. Photograph by his wife, Jill Krementz.

17 comments:

M (tread softly upon) said...

Very nice.

Fuzzylogic said...

It's indeed a lovely poem."Our lady of perpetual astonishment" loved that choice of words!

ML said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Asha said...

Have a great weekend Sanjay!:)

nowheregirl said...

lovely!

meno said...

I am also thinking of Kurt this morning. Thanks for the poem and the picture.

patches said...

This is what I get for boycotting conventional media outlets, I missed a piece of real news. This poem has an unattractive honesty about it...I like it.

Carrie said...

How can something sad put such a smile on my face? I loved that poem.

ML said...

Nice poem and love how the picture displayed such a carefree spirit.

Lotus Reads said...

Loved the poem! I haven't read any of his books, but I do want to.

Thanks for sharing!

starry nights said...

loved the poem.have a great weekend.

Anali said...

Beautiful!

Sanjay said...

@M. I loved the poem as soon as I read it. :)

@Fuzzylogic. Thanks, those words stood out to me.

@Asha. Thanks you do the same too.

@Nowheregirl. KV was indeed a unique character.

@Meno. Same here, I saw him on a TV interview a few months back and I was really impressed.

@Patches. I liked your interpretation. :)

@Carrie.. I agree.

@Ml. Indeed that just completely stood out for me as well.

Sanjay said...

@Lotus. I am happy to share, I thought this was one of those must share things. I read slaughter house five eons ago, I just ordered the book so I can read it again.

There is an honesty and beauty to that poem. Thank you for your comment. :)

Sanjay said...

@Starry.. Enjoy your weekend too.

@Anali. It is indeed a lovely poem.

Mona Buonanotte said...

I loved this man. Loved. Him. He will be missed.

Mellowdrama said...

Hahha..that is neat. I have never read any of Vonnegut's works - he was always on my 'Will read one of these days' list but I never managed to get hold of any of his novels..perhaps I didn't look hard enough. Lol, have you heard of Philip Larkin - somewhat in the same vein (dry humour) - google Whitsun Weddings or Church Going - both are awesome! Cheers