Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Three Citrus Curd

I think this might be the last in the food series for a bit, I gotta spare you folks this eh?

So what made me go for the three citrus curd? Well for one am trying a different recipe every week and two descriptions from the accompanying
article by Melissa Clark to the recipe just seduced me (excerpt below).

FOR cooks of a lemon-loving persuasion, a puckery citrus curd is the culinary analogue of a chocolate fanatic's fudgy ganache. A cousin of lemon custard but without the milk or cream, lemon curd is a go-to topping, filling, sauce and eat-off-the-spoon treat. It's a mainstay of the pastry cook's repertory, yet subject to countless variations.
...
It was a classic eureka moment. The lime and blood orange atoned for each other's sins, and the lemon rounded out the rough edges and brought everything together. It was deeply tart but not enough to make one squint, fresh and buoyant on the palate, and just sweet enough. To my mind, my three-citrus curd tasted better than any of those flavors alone, and it also came out an appealing salmon color.



Taken from the New York Times dining section article here.
Modifications if any were few. This turned out amazingly well and as per *A* was better than any of the homemade ice creams from last year. If you try this, keep stirring that is the key as is low heat. At one point curds did start to form and I had to pull th pan off the heat and stir vigorously. There was absolutelyno way to tell this was mostly eggs the tanginess/tart flavors from the citrus seemed just right and it was not too sweet. Blissful was the term that came to mind as I had this last night. If you want it to be less thick use less heat. This serves as a great sauce on icecreams, pies(?), cheesecake(?) or even on a bowl of fruit. I also managed to get the color just right.

2 blood oranges
1 lemon
1 lime
3 egg yolks
2 whole eggs
1/2 cup sugar (added a bit more here)
Pinch of salt
4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature, cut into cubes.

1. Grate zest from one orange, the lemon and the lime. Set aside. Squeeze juice from all citrus into a sieve set over a bowl. Press on solids to extract all juice.

2. In a bowl, whisk together the yolks and whole eggs with sugar and salt. Whisk in strained juice.

3. Transfer mixture to a heavy saucepan and set over very low heat. Add butter. Using a wooden spoon, stir curd constantly, making sure to reach edges around side of pan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture has thickened enough to mound when dropped from spoon, 10 to 15 minutes. If mixture starts to curdle, immediately take pot off heat and stir vigorously. If mixture does not thicken, raise heat very slightly and stir vigilantly.

4. Strain curd through a fine sieve into a bowl. (I did not sieve this and it turned out just ok). Stir in zest. Cover top of curd directly with plastic wrap so a skin will not form. Chill until quite cold and thick, at least 4 hours.

Yield: 1 1/4 cups.

26 comments:

ML said...

I keep drooling all over my keyboard every time I read about these wonderful recipes!

That looks so refreshing and tasty! I think I would serve this with fresh fruit like you did. Mmmmmm, blueberries...very yummy looking photos.

Lisa Francisco said...

this looks awesome! keep bringing these recipes!

lisa

Beenzzz said...

That does look very delicious. I love citrus after a meal because it's so crisp and cleansing. This would make an excellent dessert for my next dinner party....who knows when that will be though with all the home repairs going on. :)

Intern said...

This looks yummy..

But what really fascinates me is that you are such a great cook!!!
YEY!!!

starry nights said...

Never heard of citrus curd before but it sure looks awesome and I am sure it tastes good too.

Sanjay said...

@Ml. Thanks. This turned out to be a real breeze. The key was low heat and constant stirring.

@Lisa. Thanks :)

@Beenzzz..It turned out well, and yes it would be a good dessert for your next dinner party, exactly what *A* said too. I hope your home repairs go well and on schedule. :) Thanks for the kind words.

@Intern. Thanks. How are ya? I am not sure I am a good cook, I don't have good cooking instincts like my other and my better half does, but I do follow recipes and instructions well (and not just for recipes :-))

Asha said...

Very very nice!!I know Lemon curd,three citrus makes it even more tasty!!Really good.

Last recipe?! WHY?!!!!!! Wahh!!!!

You have a great looking dining table!! Whatever we have,got to keep covered with 2 layers of sheets bcos kids will spill everything and anything on it!Waiting to kick them out to college!!!;D

meno said...

How appropriate, we had a main dish, a side dish, and now it's time for dessert. Looks yummy!

Sanjay said...

@Starry. Thanks. It did turn out well. How is your back healing?

@Asha..Thank you for the kind words and coming from a great cook like you, it is much appreciated. It is only the last recipe for a bit. I am going to be very busy this weekend and so will not get to cook, also I have two more recipes to post but being lazy with the write up. :)
I hear ya about having to keep the table covered. Thank you for your comment about it. It really is a small table and we purchased it from a friend whose apartment we moved in to when he moved out when we were in Connecticut. *A* does not like the table much and I love it, we may get a new one but this one will stay, it's great for a nice cozy dinner.

Sanjay said...

@Meno.. Thanks! You know what? It is amazing you noticed that order. Honestly I did not know that was gonna be the order of my posts! lol funny how that turned out!

Carrie said...

That makes my mouth pucker just reading it.

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sanjay!

My mom used to make delicious lemon curd and honestly, when I was growing up I thought no taste on earth could possibly compare to it...but your three citrus curd looks like it comes close! :)

I have to hand it to you...it really looks wonderful, the presentation is excellent and the colour is lovely. Now I so wish I had a decent dessert to eat after lunch instead of half a Twix bar! :)

Thank you for sharing!

Sanjay said...

@Carrie. :-) Thanks.

Sanjay said...

@Lotus. Hey there!! Thank you for your compliments and comment.

You know I don't think this three citrus curd can come close to your mom's cooking. That is rare company to be in and this ocassional cook ain't that good honestly. :-)

You wanna swap that twix bar for a helping of this curd? :-)

Enjoy the rest of the Wednesday. :)

listmaker said...

Sanjay, that looks wonderful.

Sai said...

This looks so amazing! Please keep sending in recipes.

Id it is said...

Outlandish! Yet deliciously cool, at least by the sound and look of it. Maybe once the temperatures rise a wee bit more I'll dare an attempt.
Thanks for sharing.

Orchid said...

Looks cool but I am more eager to find out about the egg plant chutney..let me read that!

Dan said...

Oh my goodness! That's a drink to die for ... or maybe to die from.

Are you still alive? :)

iz said...

Awful lot of work for 1 1/4 cup lemon curd. But I think you just won over the hearts of all the women who read your blog. Mine included.

deepsat said...

sounds pretty simple!! good recipe and looks really yummy!!thanks for sharing!!

;-))

Aditi said...

nice.. as always

oldwhitelady said...

That looks so delicious, but I don't feel like making it. Maybe, one day, I'll get a burst of energy. Yum!

Shionge said...

Hiya Sanjay.....thank you for sharing this. I love citrus :D

Biby Cletus said...

Nice post, its a really cool blog that you have here, keep up the good work, will be back.

Warm Regards

Biby Cletus - Blog

Varsha said...

Looks nice...hey what are blood oranges ?!