Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Almond and Buttermilk Sorbet

This is the first time I used our ice cream maker this year. I am hoping to make a different ice cream/ sorbet, every other week or every 3 weeks.

And in case you wonder if we consume all of it, we don't. I take some to work for my co-workers ;-). And like it says in the recipe, it really does take 15 minutes to make (chilling and freezing time excluded).

And this one really turned out well, the fresh taste of the lemon juice and the buttermilk combined with the almonds, seemed just right. Unlike in the recipe below I did not completely process the almonds to a powder but let it be just a tad coarse. I liked how that felt while eating the sorbet.

From the New York Times dining section here.

Adapted from“Vegetable Harvest” (Morrow, 2007)

Time: About 15 minutes, plus 1 hour and 45 minutes chilling and freezing

1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup whole (unblanched) almonds
2 cups buttermilk, shaken to blend
1/2 teaspoon almond extract.

1. Combine lemon juice, 1 cup sugar and corn syrup in small saucepan. Place over medium-low heat and simmer until sugar is dissolved. Cool to room temperature.

2. Place almonds in small, dry skillet over medium heat. Shake until nuts are fragrant and evenly toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.

3. Mix almonds and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in food processor or blender. Process to a powder, and set aside.

4. Stir cooled lemon syrup, buttermilk and almond extract in bowl. Refrigerate well. Transfer to ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Serve in small bowls, with almond and sugar topping.

Yield: 12 servings (about 1 quart).

14 comments:

Asha said...

I got a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker for Mother's day but haven't used it yet!I don't have space in my freezer to freeze the bowl!
Looks delicious.Adding Buttermilk is interesting,must try.Would you like some Bhakarwadis to go with it?;D

Sanjay said...

@Asha, Thanks! You have to make room in the freezer, esp for this sorbet. It is very easy to make.

Bhakarwadis do sound nice!!! :)I saw your post, will have to try making them some day!

Ash said...

Yum!!
I wish i worked in your office :-)

Lotus Reads said...

This looks amazing, Sanjay and I'll bet it tastes sooo delicious too! My mom used to make icecream...I remember helping her to pour into molds and wishing there was a way icecream could set faster! As a child 24-hours was a long time to wait!

I impatiently await your other icecream posts...this is going to be one delicious summer I can tell! :)

Maggie said...

Ooh I was thinking about getting an ice cream maker the other day and wondering when you would start posting ice cream recipes. This one looks yummy1

Sanjay said...

@Ash.. Thanks :-)

Maggie.Thanks! :-) There is your chance, get an ice cream maker and start rolling.

Sanjay said...

@Lotus. How are you? :-) Thank you for the kind words.

It did taste good, *A* could not stop herself from having more than the one spoonful that she promised to hold herself to. The coworkers who sampled it today liked it as well. It really has been the easiest one to make of the 5 different types that I have made to date.

Aww @ childhood memories of making ice cream with mom. That is so sweet.
I grew up without a refrigerator and the only time we could eat ice cream was if our folks took us out so it was a rare treat.

The one time I saw it being made was a friend's house and I recall thinking "I have to wait overnight for this to set?"

I hope to stick to my schedule of making ice cream every other week or so if possible. Are you going to get an ice cream maker too? I am sure the girls would love it?

Lisa Francisco aka AVIANA said...

A man who cooks is always first in my line!!! It looks so good!

I"m BACK! thanks for the comment! I really appreciate it. I have some good news! it's small but good! I will post tomorrow!

:)

Sai said...

Love the recipe!!!! Yum

Perspective Inc said...

Sounds yummy but its a good thing I don't own an ice cream maker..I know how that would go down :)

NainaAshley said...

Good recipe.I read your wonderful recipies but I know I'm too busy(read lazy)to try most of them. This one I can't because it has almongs and my baby is allergic. But I wish I worked at your office!

Aditi said...

ooh if i was back home wiht my icecream maker.. i'd give this a try but i will bookmark it for a later date..
=)

Beenzzz said...

This looks wonderful! Now all I need is to buy an ice cream maker. Then again, I would be inviting lots of trouble (and several extra punds) if I did that! :)

Beenzzz said...

I guess I can't type today. I meant to say "pounds."