Monday, June 18, 2007

First Memory Tag

I have been tagged by the charming Lotus of Lotus Reads to come up with my earliest memory. I have one but I decided to throw in a few more mostly because they seem to be etched deep within my memory banks, and I don’t seem to have much trouble recalling them. They are not of any particular significance to anyone except me, I am not sure they have a huge roll in shaping me as a person but probably one of the multitude of many that help shape me and continue to do so.

1. This is my first ever memory... All I know was that I was 2 or 3 at that time, and this begins with me walking to the bathroom of the apartment where we lived. My mother was getting ready to bathe and had gotten a bucket of hot water ready. I think you know where this is going right? I make it with my baby steps to the bucket and before mom has a chance to stop me, promptly plunge my tiny hand in to the bucket of water. Yeoww!!!! Yep, needless to say I found out the hard way and I learnt fairly soon the meaning of the term “being in hot water”! No the burns were not serious, nothing that some cold water and the antiseptic cream “
Burnol”(I am sure some of you remember this one? Especially the distinct turmeric yellow colored tube and the black cap that this product came in!) did not make right. The tears took a while to subside though and one of many lessons was learnt that day.

2. I loved tossing things out. We lived on the 4th floor and my mom had one of her gold bangles lying around. I picked it up and tossed it out of the window. My mom saw me doing it and she promptly picked me up and ran downstairs to the street. Yes the gold bangle was found, and these things were valuable.

3. I remember my first day at kindergarten in school. I even remember the classroom where my first ever class was. On the first floor right next to this huge brass bell that was rung after each class was over and when school began and ended. Of course I cried my heart out, being away from mom and dad and my baby sis was not easy, especially on that day.

4. I recall being with my grandmother once, she was very old then with very soft wrinkled skin and gnarled hands from a life time of work on the farm and a hard rural life. She visited us once when I was a kid. I remember her kissing me on my cheek and I cannot forget the feel of her skin and her touch. I can’t quite say why, perhaps because I was born pretty late to my parents and I have not really experienced what it means to have grandparents, who love and spoil you unconditionally, and hence this memory is burnt into me?

5. I have visited my parents ancestral village in the
Ratnagiri region (home to the famous Alphonso mangoes) in Maharashtra. Back then in the mid 60s it was a place with no running water. I missed that as a kid and remember crying over not having a proper toilet to use. But one of my enduring recollections is that of walking across a shallow river bed, the water was barely ankle high. I distinctly recall the stones on the bottom, smoothened by years of being caressed by the crystal clear water and by the air in the dry seasons and rains when they first came. But mostly I was simply enchanted by the sight of the small silvery black fish that scattered away at the disturbance our feet in the water created.

Now that I started writing these down I suddenly am able to recall a whole lot more to reminisce about.

Anyway, those were some of my earliest memories. I am not tagging anyone else, but if any of you feel like it, please run with it, I will always be interested in reading what you have to say.


And last but not the least, Lotus.. I thoroughly enjoyed doing this tag, thank you so very much for tagging me!

18 comments:

Asha said...

I enjoyed reading all 5 of of them Sanjay!!
I love my grandmothers' skin too and loved them both.One grandma would scratch my head gently with her fingers whenever I sat beside her for no reason!! Loved that:)

Sanjay said...

@Asha.. Thank you for your comment! Loved reading about your memories with your grannies.

Lotus Reads said...

Sanjay, you're good, you have a wonderful memory! My memories, especially my earliest ones are so jumbled, also, I am unable to sift my actual memories from what was told to me, ya know?

Ouch@ the hot water, I can see why that was burned into your memory bank, quite literally! And yeah, I remember "Burnol" there was always a tube of it in our medicine cabinet, also hirudoid ointment for those endless bruises and bumps! :)

I was trying hard to remember my first day at kindergarten but I can't. You did a great job with your recollection!

I love #5, walking along the shallow river bed is such a beautiful reminiscence.

I thank you so much for sharing,Sanjay and for doing the tag, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your responses!

Sanjay said...

Hey there Lotus! I hope you are having a wonderful Monday. I totally understand when you say it is hard to distinguish between what you recall and what was told to you.

:-) @ burned in to your memory bank. Now why did I not think of that one? That was a good one! Unfortunately I haven't heard about hirudioid. :-/

For some reason I remember that day, perhaps due to the fact that it was so life altering for me from my perspective at that point in time?

Thank you for your comment and kind words, as always it is great to hear from you. I loved doing this tag and thank you for tagging me.

patches said...

I really like #5. That is the kind of memory, I try to remember. #1 must have made quite an impact on you. I remember my first burn. I was leaning over the stove and burned my chin on a hot cookie pan.

Carrie said...

That is a cool meme.

meno said...

How interesting these all are. It took me back to some of my old memories.

The past one is especially beautiful.

ML said...

Great memories, Sanjay! Isn't it funny how once you get started then more things flood back to you? I enjoyed reading your post.

AVIANA said...

hmmm

nice memories...wow you were such a bad kid throwing your mom's bangles out the windows.....

it's good to remember...it reminds you who you are. it grounds you...it makes you smile...it makes you grow...

thanks for stopping by!

Lucia said...

I knew from when you said what you were going to write about that I'd like this all the way through...and I did! I especially like young you tossing that gold bangle out into the street.

Beenzzz said...

Great job on this meme, Sanjay! I really liked the part about tossing things out the window. I remember being tempted to do that too. Your poor little hand too!

Aditi said...

I'd say u have a wonderful memory, I dont think I would remmeber things that long ago...

iz said...

Gosh. Love the memory about Ratnagiri. Wish I had family in a plcae like that!

Sanjay said...

@Patches.. Thank you. Yes painful memories have a way of staying with us no? And not just the ones that cause us mental pain.

@Carrie.. Thanks.

@Meno. Thank you so much!

@Ml.. Thank you. Once I started to write, you are right.. how more memories started to flood back.

@Aviana. thank you for your comment. Yes I guess I was up to no good as a kid.

@Lucia. Thanks. I remember you saying that you loved reading about my memories from childhood.

@Beenzzz. Thanks.

@Aditi. thanks I wish my memory was good enough to manage shopping for grocery without a shopping list. :)

@Iz. Thanks. I guess we all know families that we wish we could call our own at some point eh?

Ash said...

Enjoyed reading this. Ratnagiri is a beautiful place, isnt it ?

priya said...

You were such a naughty kid and glad u still remember all those little tiny memories.

NainaAshley said...

Loved this post. Brought back many childhood memories.

Hollydolly said...

Oh Sanjay:

What beautiful memories.Especially of your Grandmother. I can remember sitting on my Grandmother's lap whilst she wound my curly hair into ringlets. Now, that is something I had not thought about for years until I read your memories....Thank You...