Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Hands...
Since there was no Friday word with Mona being busy, it was easy for me not to mention that I did not feel up to it anyways. Then while I was reading the eloquent and fun Patches @ Clawless, I saw that she did a great Friday word post with the word being “hand”. So below is a picture of my hands and a.. err.. feeble attempt at what pases for a poem.















These are the hands…

That held me when I came in to this world
Their firstborn..
Barely holding on
When all seemed lost
I must have brought them joy then
But what do I bring them now?


These are the hands…

That nursed, nurtured and protected me
That helped shape me..form me..
But not in their own image
That I run from only to be revisited at the next turn
And my place in abaddon seems to crystallize

These are the hands…

That pick me up, dust me down
When I stumble and fall as I try to find myself
That compartmentalize.. slot it away, deal with it later
Or hope it perishes under its own gravitas
Fragmented, to never be whole again

These are the hands…

Raised feebly warding of blows
As he yet again asserts his “right”
To hurt, to dominate, to tower
That can no longer stop
Words sharper and harder than his fists
Slamming against her face
Unrelenting in their daily banality

These are the hands…

That wag their fingers
It’s a part of life, your fate
Said they that raised her
Chided her for being a woman
A burden to be disencumbered
Disposed of as chattel
Unloved by those that bore her
And the one she is shackled to

These are the hands…

That bid me adieu as I left to find
A new life for me
While they are left behind
Hands gnarled
Bodies withering
Minds unraveling
Spirits broken
Loneliness their only shadow
Till death does them apart



21 comments:

Asha said...

Great photo of your hands Sanjay!Cleverly posed!:))
Great thoughts about hands too,didn't think hands were so imp until now!
Have a great day and keep your hands to yourself at the office!HeHe!!

Mridula said...

Wonderful words. Makes me pause and think.

Sanjay said...

@Asha.. Thank you. The suggestion for the photo came from a good friend. :-)
My hands are err...in good hands. :)

@Mridula. Thank you, for if they made you puase and think then that I suppose is good.

Diana said...

My heart just aches for you (and I'm presuming your sister?) Such a tragic way to live your life. I can't imagine treating my children like that.

Ash said...

I love that image...such a fine perspective and goes well with the wonderful poem. Well-done!!

patches said...

Revealing photo and poetry. Your hands are strong, the hands of a protector.

Beautiful language, vivd imagery, maudlin subject, and very well delivered.

Sanjay said...

@Diana. Thank you. I am sure people are well intentioned when they set out to do certain things, and then there is a certain kind of fatalism that might set in. It's hard to shake people out of that for a variety of reasons, cultural, societal, familial and personal are a few.

@Ash.. thank you.

@Patches, Thank you so much. I am not sure my hands are those of a protector, I would like to think so. I can hardly keep myself out of trouble at times. :)

meno said...

I don't think your attempt at poetry is feeble at all. It makes me wonder from whence it sprang.

I also like the picture, very evocative pose.

Carrie said...

What a moving poem.

Lotus Reads said...

Sanjay, I had such a lump in my throat as I read your poem. Our hands can tell so many stories...I pray so much that my hands will tell happy ones.

I had never really thought about hands as being messengers of emotion, but your poem makes me look at hands with a new-found respect and appreciation. We can bring comfort with our hands and we can also bring a lot of pain, it is left up to us how we want to use them...thank you for reminding me of that.

An absolutely beautiful and moving poem...I will be thinking about it for a while.

Sanjay said...

@Meno. Thank you, some of where that poem comes from is personal.

@Carrie..Thank you so much.

Sanjay said...

@ Lotus.. Thank you for stopping by and your kind comments. I am sorry about the sadness in that poem. I also hope that your hands tell us happier stories.

This is just too dark and depressing.

Thank you for thinking that there was something new in this poem. I did not know how it would turn out either. I never know how they will turn out till I see the final product.

Sai said...

Great photo of your hands Sanjay. By the way your eyes are very intense and sensitive.

By the way loved the poem. It was so poignant and written in the typical sanjay style.

NainaAshley said...

Beautiful poem. Loved it. And great idea for the picture.

Beenzzz said...

This poem is so powerful. Brilliant writing, Sanjay. It left me with tears in my eyes.

Sugarlips said...

Great shot Sanjay and the poem is very intense and poignant, I didn't think of hands that way ever. Very moving post!

Stay Beautiful...!!

chandni said...

hey...

that's a long one!

and must say the post below has made me very hungy! I am suddenly missing hot dogs...good real NY Hot dogs! :D

Sanjay said...

@Sai... Thanks for stopping by and for noticing that about my eyes and your kind words.

@Naina.. Thanks, the idea for the picture came from a friend. I just clicked on the button. :)

@Beenzzz. Aww Thank you so much, I am sorry the poem has a sadness to it.

@Sugarlips. Thank you so much for your words. I did not realize how I was looking at hands till I was done writing with this post.

Sanjay said...

@Chandni. Thank you for stopping by. Yes NYC does have amazing food and the hot dogs are not to be missed!

Aditi said...

its a wonderful poem..

Sanjay said...

@Aditi.. Thank you much!