Friday, June 15, 2007

It's Friday!

Baltimore Street Scene

On my way home saw this scene below and took a quick cellphone pic. So this horse driven cart is going around the neighborhood, selling vegetables and fruits. There were two guys, one of whom is not in the frame was going to a building close by with a bag of produce. I haven't seen anything like this and thought it was kind of neat. It reminded me of my childhood in India when we used to have this vendor with a pushcart selling vegetables in our neighborhood.



Frivolous Lawsuit? link
Man sues over erection drink
Wednesday, June 6, 2007
A man is suing the maker of a health drink, claiming the vitamin-enriched beverage gave him an erection that would not subside.
Christopher Woods said he had to be hospitalised because the erection would not go down.
His lawsuit said he bought the health drink Boost Plus made by the Swiss-based Novartis pharmaceutical company, at a US drugstore on June 5, 2004.

Novartis' Boost Plus Web site describes the drink as "a great tasting, high calorie, nutritionally complete oral supplement for people who require extra energy and protein in a limited volume," in vanilla, chocolate and strawberry.
Woods' court papers say he woke up the next morning "with an erection that would not subside" and sought treatment of the condition, called severe priapism.
More strange news link


A teenager who hit on the idea of dialling random numbers and offering drugs for sale really got a wrong number when he called a policeman.

Det Matt Parks arranged to meet the 14-year-old at a school in Gulfport, Florida, to buy marijuana and crack cocaine and then arrested him.

The youth has now been charged with possession and intent to distribute drugs near a school.

Via Atrios From Cliff Schecter's Blog

Our justice department's resources are devoted to cases like the one below.. Lovely eh? Supporting groups that want to send home religious literature with schoolchildren; in one case, the government helped win the right of a group in Massachusetts to distribute candy canes as part of a religious message that the red stripes represented the blood of Christ.

Funny Ad And Prduct (link..may not be work safe)

Each of these photo-realistic paper cups comes emblazoned with a new nose. When you tip your head to take a drink – voila – you get an instant nose job, and a chuckle from the crowd. Remember, never turn your nose up at a good laugh! There are 24 12-oz. cups in each pack, evenly divided between male and female proboscises (errr, noses). Packed in a nice clear box. Fred Party


25 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

I absolutely LOVE that horse-driven cart, like you say, it's a fond reminder of the veggie cart vendors from back home. Oh and after your post on supporting the local farmers, I have been looking at some of our organic/farmers markets...turns out there's a new one opening (every Saturday morning) about a 5-minute drive from my place, so I look forward to buying as much local produce as I can!

Those photo-realistic paper cups from Fred Partyis a really cool idea...I visited the site looking for a price, but couldn't find one.

Have a happy Friday, Sanjay!!!

Sanjay said...

@Lotus! Good morning, hope your Friday is off to a great start!

Thank you for your kind comment and you give me way too much credit re the farmers markets. But I am very happy for you that there is a new one opening so close to your place. Yay! for eating and supporting our local farmers!

Also sorry the cellphone pic ain't the best, the shop you see behind the cart is actually a small books/art supplies store. :)

I liked the paper cups too. Neat no?

Have a great Friday and a better weekend ahead.

Aditi said...

all fun stuff.. the noses were hilarious... the horse driven cart a novelty...

hellomelissa said...

i LOVE the product name! very clever...

Asha said...

LOL @ the last nose icker.
Loved the Veg cart!!In b'lore,they sell like veggies like that and iron your clothes in your frontyard too with their cart.I would love that here.
Great collection Sanjay.Have a great weekend:)

Here is Puran Poli site for you to drool over!:)

http://aartiscorner.blogspot.com/2007/06/puran-poli.html

Ash said...

That horse-driven cart looks lovely. Old world charm.

Interesting nose-cups there!

Beenzzz said...

I'd like to get the "pick your nose" set too. I can think of a few people that I would give them to as a gift....namely me.

Lisa Francisco aka AVIANA said...

they kind of remind me of the horse and carriage rides in NYC that are now gone...my hometown :(

hey did you hear about the guy who is suing a dry cleaning company for losing his favorite pair of pants? I think he is suing for like $50 million dollars. Seriously! and it has been thrown out of court and to top it all...he's a judge!

have a nice weekend!

Sanjay said...

@Aditi.. Thanks

@Melissa.. Thank you for visiting and for your comments!

@Asha.. Thank you for the comments and the puranpoli site. :) Have a great weekend too.

@Ash.. Thanks, I had to take the picture of the cart, I loved it too!

@Beenzzz.. go for it!

@Lisa. I have heard of that lawsuit too, maybe the judge decided to try what the plaintifs that he probably encounters all the time did in his courtroom?
And in NYC you can still take rides in central park in horse drawn carriages no?

ML said...

Great pictures and articles, Sanjay.
My favorite is the horse-driven cart.

Happy Friday and have a marvelous weekend!

Diana said...

What a great idea for the horse drawn veggie cart. You could just go from block to block and not have to set up a stand each time.

Kids would love the nose cups.

Smita said...

During my engr days, our food came on camels ;D And the nose job stuff is cute. Thanks for visiting my blog. Would be a pleasure to be a part of the roll. Thanks ;D

Carrie said...

I really like the idea of having a cart with a horse. They just opened up a produce stand walking distance from my home.

Nancy Willing said...

hoot! I want those cups!

Sai said...

I absolutely love the horse-driven cart.

Those photo realistic paper cups are amazing!!!

meno said...

The kid who made the phone calls should have been charged with extreme stupidity too.

patches said...

Erection drink? If the dude winds that lawsuit, that beverage is going to be in stiff demand in the nursing home community.

MONA said...

ah! so I see, Its a strange sight indeed!

& the papercups are Too funny!

Astral said...

hi, how are you? i have not been around for a while now but i am hopefully back.....

like always liked this post also of yours....esp the pic....

Id it is said...

Loved the picture of the horse carriage in Baltimore. Incidentally, did you notice the pothole covers in downtown Baltimore, around the aquarium? Each cover is inscribed with a lettering in a different language! I identified some 9 different languages when I was there a couple of years ago.

iz said...

Ummm erection that doesn't go down? This drink should nevber come to india where men scartch their crotches 24-7.

listmaker said...

I love the horse drawn cart.

NainaAshley said...

Loved the horse driven cart and the paper cups!

Sanjay said...

@ml.. Thanks, I hope you had a good weekend.

@Diana. I agree neat concept that cart is.

@Smita. Thanks.

@Carrie. Cool tat you have a produce stand so close to where you live.

@Nancy.. lol yes those cups are neat!

@Sai. So true, thank you.

@Meno. lol agreed, extreme stupidity is a crime that a lot of folks should be charged with. :)

@Patches.. lol, true indeed!

@Mona. Thanks.

@Astral. Thanks I am doing well. Hows you? Good to see you back, thank you for the kind words, I will visit your blog soon.

@Id. Thank you. I do not know about those manhole covers my commute does not take me close to that part of the city. But that is an interesting observation.

@Iz.. lol you are reminding me of sights that I would rather not recall.

@Listmake.. thank you!

@Naina Thank you for your comment!

Nabeel said...

yuppp .. in the business it's called Viral marketing .. creativity spurs !