Thursday, June 14, 2007

Thursday All Over The Place (Also known as I have nothing much to say ;-))

In which my head meets my desk! (The overheard in new york/office links below may contain offensive language)

Just Not in Any Recent Incarnation

Clerk: What's that symbol on your shirt?
Chick: It says 'Nepal.'
Clerk: What's Nepal?
Chick: It's where the Dalai Lama lives.
Clerk: What's the Dalai Lama? Is that an animal?
Chick: Yeah, it's like a Yeti.
Clerk: Oh.

--Pelham Pkwy

Overheard by: raginggoatboy

via Overheard in New York, Jun 12, 2007

9AM Plus Clowns

Coworker #1: What is Cirque du Soleil anyway?
Coworker #2: I went to the website -- it looks like it's just a bunch of Asians stretching.

Columbus, Ohio


via Overheard in the Office, Jun 13, 2007

Can You Google "Schmuck" Real Quick?

Tourist on cell: I am looking at a big board that says LIRR. This can't be Pennsylvania station.
Commuter: Hey, schmuck -- LIRR is in Penn Station.
Tourist on cell: Oh, I am in the right place. Someone was nice enough to give me directions.

--Penn Station


via Overheard in New York, Jun 9, 2007

Ready To Get Creeped Out?

The Japanese have been pretty good at robotics and as the technology progresses and robots evolve (sic), we are bound to be confronted with more humanoid robots. If the pic below from the Tokyo Times blog don’t creep you out, the video surely will.

An event that saw the organisation proudly showing off a 33-kilogramme effigy that can make facial expressions, react to its surroundings by blinking and stand up with assistance. Giving it a set of skills and abilities that its maker claims allows CB2 (Child-Robot with Biometric Body) to emulate the physical abilities of a 1- or 2-year-old toddler.

The only problem being that unlike the real thing, CB2 is neither comical nor cute – far from it in fact.




Fast Food In Ads Versus How It Looks For Real

I saw this at the West Virginia Surf Report Web Site (Don't ask me what they are doing with this). Click here for more pictures.

Each item was purchased, taken home, and photographed immediately. Nothing
was tampered with, run over by a car, or anything of the sort. It is an accurate
representation in every case. Shiny, neon-orange, liquefied pump-cheese, and all

McDonald's Sausage Breakfast Burrito


14 comments:

Smita said...

So much for being wordly wise! ;)

Aditi said...

pretty hilarious.. much needed respite on a long day...
always surprises me that u are this alert at this ungodly hour

Lotus Reads said...

Great post, Sanjay, you've managed to cover a diverse number of topics!

You know, I read a while back that owing to Japan's falling birth rate their toy companies had gone from targeting 6-year olds to 60-year olds and one fast-selling doll for that age group is the talking robotic doll who will tell you it loves you when you pick it up and talk to it...there is something so sad about someone my mother's age playing with and talking to dolls. How lonely they must be.

Sanjay said...

@Smita. :) I am sure it has its benefits although things like these does make one wonder no? Thanks for visiting.

@Aditi. I am glad you found it funny. And I am not alert at this hour, I am just waking up. The post is usually ready the night before, I just publish it the next day. :)

Sanjay said...

@Lotus. Hey! how are you this morning? :)

Thank you for your comment, I always learn something new from you.

I had not heard about this talking doll for seniors. It surely is sad and lonely. Even with all the technology and the gizmos around us, dont we seem to be withdrawing in to shells or within ourselves?

Asha said...

LOL @ the first 2 jokes! What morons!!:D
I heard that they spray something to make it hard and shiny ,so the ad food looks great on TV.That real Mc.Burrito looks dreadful!

Sanjay said...

@Asha.. I agree. And yes now I remember too, they use stuff to make food more appealing in ads. Good point.

Beach Bum said...

Coworker #1: What is Cirque du Soleil anyway?
Coworker #2: I went to the website -- it looks like it's just a bunch of Asians stretching.


We went to the Cirque du Soleil show down in Orlando a few years ago and it was kind of over my simple Southeren boy head. I knew some sort of story was being told but for the life of me I could not figure it out.

As for the McDonalds breakfast burrito, when your hungry and short on time in the morning I find it best not to dwell, or look to closely, on the compromises you have to make sometimes.

meno said...

Love the pictures of the fast food. I wonder why they don't use the real thing in the advertising.

Carrie said...

You mean I can have a child without having a child?

I saw the food thing on another blog but I can't click the link because of "humor, profanity".

Sai said...

those were funny....hmmm where else but NY...ha ha ha.

patches said...

The robots are kinda creepy. Love the Cirque du Soleil reference.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Did you see that there's cucmber-flavored soda in Japan now? I think it's a Pepsi product, only available for the summer and selling like hotcakes!

Sanjay said...

@Beach.. Thank you. When I saw the cirque I understood it only because I read up abt them a bit.
I agree re food, sometime u r just too hungry to care.

@Meno.. Thanks. They dont use real food as it is not as appealing?

@Carrie.. yes you can have a child without having one. :)

@Sai..thanks

@Patches.. thanks. Robot is creepy indeed.

@cdw.. wow. I had no idea. I would love to taste that. :)