Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thursday... I got nothing post

Funnies from overheardinnewyork

Explain the Waffle Iron, Then

Black NYU boy: For some reason, every Asian here has a rice cooker.
Black girl: Why?
Black NYU boy: I don't know, I guess because they're Asian.
Black girl: That's so stupid. I'm black, but you don't see me with a chicken fryer.

--8th St & University Pl

Overheard by: yo mama

via Overheard in New York, Nov 9, 2006

Her People Love Fashion at a Bargain

Older woman: Excuse me, miss?
Younger woman: Yeah?
Older woman: Your veil, your burqa is very beautiful. I didn't know your people were allowed to wear it in bright colors.
Younger woman: It's not a burqa, it's a poncho. I'm Jewish. It's for the rain. I got it at TJ Maxx.

--53rd & 7th

Overheard by: Pam

via Overheard in New York, Jun 9, 2006

Flushed bra causes sewer collapse
link

A bra and a pair of knickers have been blamed for a flood and road collapse in County Durham.

Northumbrian Water said the underwear was flushed down a toilet and caused a blockage in a sewage pipe in Middleton-St-George, near Darlington.

Heavy rain, together with a build up of grease and fat, caused the pipe to burst and the road above to collapse.

The road will remain closed for days and Northumbrian Water estimates repairs will cost more than £15,000......

"When we dug down to inspect the damage, we found a bra and knickers had snagged itself across the nine-inch diameter of the pipe.

"There was also a heavy build-up of grease and fat, which contributed to the situation. We were forced to repair a 2m section of sewer and a 10m section of road was affected.

"These pipes are not designed to carry bras and knickers."

The spokeswoman said it was impossible to trace the owners of the underwear.

She added: "Unfortunately no-one wants to even touch the offending items. They will remain bagged for a time and then disposed of properly."

Diet Dog Food Ad link (may not be safe for work)



The sorry state of our media
I could not find the source for this picture, but it says a lot about our media.

17 comments:

Mridula said...

Interesting links.

Aditi said...

pretty funny.. sure helps brighten thursday afternoon...

AVIANA said...

Hey!

Hope all is well with you. I'm sorry but those jokes to me were corny! Not your fault though. :)

have a nice weekend!

:)

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sanjay!

I was not having a very good morning but your post has cheered me up! I especially loved the image depicting the sorry state of our media. They've gone downhill and what's scary, they seem to want to stay there!

Sanjay said...

@Mridula.. Thanks

@Aditi. Glad it brightened up your Thursday afternoon.

Aviana.I am well thanks, hope you are fine too. You don't have to apologize for those jokes, they are not mine I agree. Also it is perfectly fine that you have a different response to it. Enjoy your day.

Sanjay said...

@Lotus.. :-/ I am so sorry that you have not had a good morning so far. I am glad this small post cheered you up though.

I could not find the source for that image that you liked. I found a direct link to it but not the post or blog that is was a part of.

It is like you said scary. The media does not seem to get it and wonders why they are losing audiences. Their preachy attitude at times also turns me off.
Don't they get that "Paris Hilton/blonde missing woman (pregnant/or not), celebrity scandal, chark attack" du jour is not what most of us are looking for. These may have their place in the news but not 24/7 like they cover it.
Thank you so much for your comment and I hope the rest of your day is much much better. Take care.

patches said...

Thanks for the laughs. Ethnic clichés, religious clichés, undergarments and digestion. I think you've covered everything.

Beenzzz said...

Ok, the dog one cracked me up!

Ash said...

Hilarious!

Anali said...

LOL! Oh Lord!

Carrie said...

chicken fryer...ha!

Mona Buonanotte said...

AH! So that's where my underwear went!

ML said...

"These pipes are not designed to carry bras and knickers." That cracked me up! Are ANY pipes designed to carry those items?

The dog one is very funny too! Thanks for the laugh, Sanjay.

Cheers!

White Magpie said...

LMAO...real funnies..esp the burqa one..

Diana said...

Oh, those were too good!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend.

paris parfait said...

I think that poster is from Michah Wright's Propaganda Remix Project. It is a sad commentary on the state of the media in the US and on the public's appetite for "celebrity lite" "infotainment," rather than serious news that actually affects their lives. Sigh.

paris parfait said...

Oh and forgot to mention the conversations overheard are hilarious (if a bit sad, at how misguided and ill-informed people can be).