Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Newark Film Festival (Sept 6 -9, 2007) Newark, Delaware

The tiny town of Newark, DE is home to the University of Delaware. It was purely by chance that I found out that Newark has its own film festival last year. It’s apparently that time of the year again and they have a better roster of films this time around. The festival is now in its 3rd year and is organized by two film buffs , Barry Schlecker & Lisa Lucas. This event is small enough that I got a chance to talk with Lisa Lucas last year after one of the screenings and tell her how much I loved what she was doing.

For a complete list of films go here. The ones that I think I will try to watch are below.


I Have Never Forgotten You:

The Life & Legacy of Simon Wiesenthal
documentary / PG-13 / 1hr.45min.
For more than 60 years, Simon Wiesenthal dedicated his life to tracking down Nazi war criminals -- contributing to the prosecution of over 1,000 of them. Screened to sold out crowds at New York's Tribeca Film Festival, this documentary is narrated by Nicole Kidman.




No End In Sight

documentary / NR / 1hr.41min.

The first film of its kind to chronicle the reasons behind Iraq’s descent into guerilla war, warlord rule, criminality and anarchy, NO END IN SIGHT is a jaw-dropping, insider’s tale of wholesale incompetence, recklessness and venality. It is a powerful look into how arrogance and ignorance turned a military victory into a seemingly endless and deepening nightmare of a war.



The Lives of Others

drama / R / 2hrs.17min.

At once a political thriller and human drama, THE LIVES OF OTHERS begins in East Berlin in 1984, five years before Glasnost and the fall of the Berlin Wall and ultimately takes us to 1991, in what is now the reunited Germany. In the film, each character asks questions that we confront every day: how do we deal with power and ideology? Do we follow our principles or our feelings? More than anything else, it is a human drama about the ability of human beings to do the right thing, no matter how far they have gone down the wrong path.





Once

Irish music drama / R / 1hr.26min.

A deceptively simple story of how a guy & a girl (we never learn their names) are drawn, over a few days, into each other's orbit, a romance — or is it? — played out in the songs they sing together; songs that will carry you away... an inspirational tale of two kindred spirits who find each other on the bustling streets of Dublin. One is a street musician who lacks the confidence to perform his own songs. The other is a young mother trying to find her way in a strange new town. As their lives intertwine, they discover each other’s talents and push one another to realize what each had only dreamt about before. ONCE is their inspiring story.



Gypsy Caravan

documentary / NR / 1hr.50min.

Shot by legendary cinematographer Albert Maysles, this dynamic musical documentary follows five Gypsy bands from four countries who unite for the Gypsy Caravan as they take their show around North America for a six-week tour, astounding every audience they meet. Their musical styles range from flamenco to brass band, Romanian violin to Indian folk. And with humor and soul in their voices, they celebrate the best in Gypsy culture and the diversity of the Romani people in an explosion of song and dance.


28 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Hi, Sanjay!

I always look forward to Sep-Oct because of the all the film festivals, it's such a great time for movie buffs!

I love University towns, they are the coolest! The film festival at Newark has a wonderful selection and I particularly like the ones you've chosen to view.

Reading through the synopsis of the Simon Wiesenthal documentary gave me goosebumps. After visiting Auschwitz, I can imagine how desperately he would have wanted Nazi sympathizers/criminals to be brought to trial.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't "The Lives of Others" win best foreign movie at this year's Oscars?

I like the sound of "Once", definitely something I would enjoy.

You have reminded me that I need to put up my post on the TIFF...it's almost done, I was just getting some images together.

Thank you for letting us know about the film festival, I look forward to your impressions wrt the movies!

Asha said...

Just wanted to say hello Sanjay.Hope you are doing well!:))

Diana said...

I look forward to you seeing (and sharing with us) these films.

Sanjay said...

Hey there Lotus! How are you? That is so true what you said about Sep-Oct, it is indeed a good time for film buffs. We are lucky that Newark is only 20 mins away and having lived in a university town for almost a decade, I truly understand what you mean. Thank you for your kind words about my choice of movies. I peeked at your post about the TIFF and I have to say I like your choice better. The TIFF is easily one of the world’s top film festivals. It so good to have something like TIFF so close no?

I agree with your take of the Wiesenthal documentary, I may not be able to catch that one. We have family visiting next week and the house needs to be cleaned, so Sunday will be that day, I might try to watch 3 movies on Sat, lets see how that goes. :-)

You are right. “The lives of the others” did win the best foreign movie at the Oscars, I missed it while it was running at Bryn Mawr so this is my chance to catch it. “Once” has had the most excellent reviews.

Thank you for your comment.

Sanjay said...

@Asha, Thanks for stopping by. I am well hope you are ok too? I have been very busy at work and recently my workplace has started blocking access to the comment link on blogs, so any down time that I might use to comment and read blogs is gone, and its pretty busy once I get home too. So my blog reading has just completely gone down, but I hope to manage some time somehow, just not sure when. :-/

@Diana. Thanks I will surely try and do that.

Eli said...

I really wanted to see Fantastic Fest in Austin, but it was just too damned expensive.

ML said...

Sounds like a great event. We have one here at the beginning of each year - Sundance Film Festival.

NainaAshley said...

Sounds great! Do watch these films and post reviews so that the rest of us can live vicariously through you. Like you , I too was extremely busy last month and am just catching up with people's blogs. I enjoyed your review of Dalia Sofer's Septembers of Shriaz. I had heard a review on npr and it has been on my list ever since. When..when when..will I get to it?

Intern said...

This year i've hardly seen movies... maybe right time to catch up!

sanjay, you migt have received a strange mail from my gmail account ... because it has been hijacked. Hope you understood it's a fraud ... I apologize for any inconvenience.

Nancy Willing said...

ooooh if anyone is a horse racing fan or just loves a good story, the First Saturday In May movie [about the quest for the triple crown] is really good.
As a Barbaro fan it was cool to be able to meet the film maker and some of the people involved with this great racehorse on Friday night.
Also fascinating was the chance to see the footage of the shieks of Dubai who owned one of the featured horses. A bit scary, IMHO.

Anali said...

I just received "The Lives of Others" DVD in the mail yesterday. I hear it's amazing and plan to watch it this week.

Everyone is going to these cool film festivals! There have been a few in Boston and I haven't gone to any of them. I really hope to get to one soon.

Sanjay said...

@Eli.. That was an interesting web site. Too bad it is expensive to get tix. Thanks for stopping by.

@Naina. Thanks. I will try to post when I get a chance. But I hear you about the busy part. Perhaps you can try reading 10 pages a day? I know it is not a lot, but it is a start.
Thanks for your comment.

@ML. Lucky you that Sundance is right in your neck of the woods.

@Intern true. Please do not worry about the e-mail. I figured your account go hijacked. Thanks for the comment and you don't have to apologize.

@Nancy. Thanks. It is indeed cool that you could meet the film maker.

@Anali.. Thanks hope you you can get to the film fest in Boston.And "the lives of others" is a great movie.

iz said...

My gosh Sanjay! You really manage to do so much! Where do you get the time?

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I think, based on what you've said, that I want to see The Lives of Others.

Roland B said...

Why do you always stiplulate that your movie reviews are not reviews?

OnlinePharmacy said...

r7nOQx Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

tramadol research said...

RTBiPN Please write anything else!

name said...

xLv8xF Magnific!

loss medication meridia weight said...

Nice Article.

cartoon motel clipart said...

Please write anything else!

name said...

Wonderful blog.

bone date harmony n thug tour said...

Good job!

1 tour election presidentiel said...

Wonderful blog.

ea davies insurance northe said...

Hello all!

ringtones said...

Wonderful blog.

said...

Magnific!

buy fioricet online say wordpress said...

mbfOtg Please write anything else!

free ringtones via said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.