Maybe I should get the rant out of the way first.
We Americans Don't Have A King?
From the NY Times..
In an executive order published last week in the Federal Register, Mr. Bush said that each agency must have a regulatory policy office run by a political appointee, to supervise the development of rules and documents providing guidance to regulated industries. The White House will thus have a gatekeeper in each agency to analyze the costs and the benefits of new rules and to make sure the agencies carry out the president’s priorities.Does not matter that his party does not control Congress, he just chose to make an end run around them. He just decided by executive order that he will appoint political lackeys to oversee an agency. A job that civil servants have been doing.
Spork says it well
Imagine, if you will, that you go into the hospital for surgery and being old that the operation will be performed by an insurance adjuster. That's what we're talking about here.There is no stopping this man, and I doubt that our democratic congress has the will and the gop in Congress just pretend to be unhappy with dear leader. The votes will tell the story.
Five Random Things About Me..(You mean you have to read some more about me? Enough already! ;))
While reading beach bum's blog, I saw that he has tagged me to mention 5 random things about myself. So here goes.. 5 more in addition to the ones from yesterday.
1. There is no vegetable that I cannot eat, except well ..Okra, also known as ladyfingers. I think it was the whole appearance of it when cooked that made it slimy, so that the pieces would slide over each other with that icky stickiness. I still don't eat Okra though I have tasted it a few times, prepared in a different way.
There was another one. Yes folks "was" is the other term. I could not bring myself to eat eggplant (brinjal) either. Again it was the way it might have been made such that it's pulp in all it's pulpy greyness could not make it look palatable no matter how it tasted. I was picky as a kid and my mom is a great cook so I don't know what quite happened there. But I have grown to love this vegetable, credit for that goes to the lovely *A*. When we were dating she was horrified that I did not eat eggplant and she promised me that would change. And when that girl sets her mind on something watch out world!
I was confident I would beat back the "eat eggplant forces" but I succumbed when one day she made this veggie that I could not identify, there was a small serving of it on the plate. She said I had to try it, it was a kid of mashed veggie. And I did.. it was delicious.
I said.. So what is it?
She smiled.. "Eggplant!"
"OMG..OMG!" Me in mock horror.
She said "Get over it!" and said in Hindi something akin to .. "Gotcha!".
She.. "I have two brothers who always fell for her "tricks".
So folks that was the day I loved eggplant, I even make a decent stuffed eggplant dish.
2. Most people don't like going to the dentist. I am weird that way, it feels like any other visit to me like say getting a haircut. I have no clue why, so if i am getting my cleaning done, I sort of close my eyes and drift of in a place somewhere between sleep and not quite sleep. I have no idea why I do that and how that happens, maybe it helps that I have always been to good dentists who have excellent dental hygienists too?
3. Two movies that moved me enough that I had tears in my eyes.. Gandhi and Schindler's List.
4. While I can cook and am not great at it or anything, for me some simple every day dishes can sometimes be intimidating, unless I have a recipe. If I have one I can even experiment but without one at times I feel like a deer in the headlights..I freeze.
5. As a kid I used to be mortally scared of swallowing pills, I was sort of sickly as a kid so I would have to take some every time I had a fever or the cold or something. No matter what the very nice family doc we had, and my mom or dad tried, I had this mortal fear of the pill getting stuck in my maw. I was petrified, it was so bad the only way for me to take my pill was for it to be crushed and mixed with honey and then fed to me in a spoon. I would endure the bitter taste of most of those meds, but I would not swallow a friggin pill! Even my younger sis could do that. All exhortations of "she can do it and she is younger than you!" would not work! Till one day miraculously I tried and it went down smooth as silk. "That was easy wasn't it?" my mom would say. And I probably said to myself the child's version of "WTF Sanjay.. you wuss!"
To those of you who may not know it.. the "Ass" is the symbol of the democratic party, while the elephant is that of the republicans.
Now that tee shirt in this pic makes a lot of sense eh?