Wednesday, October 01, 2008

It is Banned Books Week! (Banned Books Week began on Sept. 27 and runs through Saturday, Oct. 4)


A hat tip to Cassandra_M at Delaware Liberal. I had almost forgotten that this week is Banned Books Week. From the ALA's (American Library Association) web site..
"Celebrating the Freedom to Read is observed during the last week of September each year. Observed since 1982, this annual ALA event reminds Americans not to take this precious democratic freedom for granted. This year, 2008, marks BBW's 27th anniversary (September 27 through October 4). "
My love of reading and books stems from my parents, folks who hardly completed high school in India. But they knew that education and knowledge would be of help to a better life. So they encouraged me to read. We were not well off so there were hardly any books at home, but during the summer vacations our school would lend us books from it's library to read for the summer. In addition my parents also let me borrow books from a local circulating library. None of this was great shakes as literature, but it was enough to trigger my imagination of worlds and places beyond my immediate environs.
And there a love of reading was born. Time does not permit me to read as much, but I still manage.

Oh and I read the newspaper everyday since I can remember going back to my childhood and I continue to do so. That is fucking more than what that empty suit Sarah Palin can say!
Oh and did you know she asked the library how she could go about banning books while she was mayor of Wasilla? link

Back to books..
Here is a list from the ALA of the top most challenged books from 2000 - 2005.
I think this piece by Carolyn Kellogg at the L.A. Times book blog says it well.

This weekend, L.A. Times books editor David L. Ulin urged us to think about Banned Books Week as more than just a celebration of challenged books that we like. "What happens when our ideals require us to defend a piece of writing that is reprehensible, that stands against everything we stand for?" he asks, continuing:

It's easy to condemn those who would remove "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" from a library, but what about "The Turner Diaries" or "The Protocols of the Elders of Zion"? Or for that matter, "Tintin in the Congo," which Little, Brown dropped from its "Tintin" reissue series last fall after controversy arose about the book's racist overtones?

These are not just academic questions; they are the heart of the matter, regardless of where you stand on the ideological divide. How do we defend one book without defending all? Such a notion can't help but make us uneasy, but then, that's one of the most essential things books can do.

If you've made your peace with defending dangerous or even heinous speech, and if you were dubbed "a brave champion of liberty" after acing the Guardian's quiz, another front remains. For the second year in a row, the American Library Assn. is celebrating Banned Books Week in Second Life — the freedom to read needs defending, it seems, in our virtual worlds too.

8 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Hey Sanjay!

Thanks for the alert..I,too, had forgotten about Banned Books Week.

Your love of books comes out clearly in your blog posts. I still remember the wonderful book reviews you treated us to...I hope you will continue to post more?

The more I see of Ms. Palin, the less I like her. Republicans keep harping on the fact that one of her plus points is that she is an ordinary girl...just like me...but heck, I don't want an ordinary, regular person holding the second most important job in the country. I want someone who is uniquely qualified to make some very important decisions concerning a very important nation and forgive me for saying so, but that's not Sarah Palin.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

Why am I not surprised that Sarah Palin wanted to ban books?

deepsat said...

interesting event that is!! wow!!

LOL @ That is fucking more than what that empty suit Sarah Palin can say!

ha ha!! from now on everyone will be careful when they talk abt the newspapers they read!!

;-))

Sanjay said...

Hey Lotus.. How are ya? Thank you for your kind words about my book reviews. You are so generous with your praise. :) I will try to post more but it gets hard, time being the issue. :)

I agree with you about Ms. Palin that we want someone who is not ordinary and regular. These are tough times that call for thoughtful, intelligent leaders and she is none of that!

And no please do no apologize, you are also amongst the millions of us who think Sarah should stick to shooting and field dressing moose! Perhaps she and the soon to be ex- Veep Darth Cheney can go hunting together!

Thanks for stopping by, hope your day has been a good one.

Sanjay said...

Hey cdw.. indeed!

Deepsat, thanks for stopping by. LOL, I think it is a bad idea to not be able to name any newspapers. Even if she does read her local newspaper she should have said it. I suppose she was being too careful, lest she be mistaken for being ill-informed for not reading much?

starry nights said...

My love of books came from my mother also.she always encouraged us to read and we got our books from the library also.she would always say knowledge is wealth, and she was so right.

A_N_Nanda said...

Hi Sanjay,

Reading is very useful, but then again one should have some memory to retain at least something of a book he/she has read. I for myself realised late that I have been neglecting reading and started from Enid Blyton and Harry Potter. Every activity has a time; so what I find is that the books I should have read years ago to enjoy no longer absorbs me. Still I try. I'm writing snippets of my impressions (not book reviews exactly) and post them in my blog. A kind of punishment I prescribe for my neglect in the past. He-he.

Thanx. I might visit your blog again and embed a few such junk.

Nanda
http://ramblingnanda.blogspot.com
http://remixoforchid.blogspot.com

Id it is said...

Now they're considering Pulitzer prize winner Junot Diaz's novel- The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao as a possible taboo read in High Schools!!!