Sunday, December 21, 2008

My Most Narcissitic Post!
To those of you following this blog, you know I tore an ACL in my right knee two years ago, spent a couple of months in physical therapy found that surgery was not needed and started running again.
I have been running for close to 15 years now, nothing long distance just the usual 2-3 miles 3 times a week or more or less weather permitting.
I always wondered if I could run longer regularly, but I did not try nor did I really have anything to tell me how much I was actually running, till I started using the "iMapMyRun" app on the iPhone that uses it's built in GOS functionality to tell you exactly how much I run.
This app lets me load myresults to the mapmyrun.com website where I can enter my height, weight and it tells me how many calories I burned and lets me do all the wonderful things with numers and stats. It also has routes from other runners in case I want to try out what they do.
And this app finally helped me find out if I could run farther, not sure why I needed that to know I could run longer. I suppose I liked being able to look at the app while running, it showed me distance run, time, current and average pace. And I can take screenshots!
So slowly I started increasing my distance run, thanks to the shorter hours of daylight I am only running on weekends (I cannot use a bike at home.. don't ask. I am too restless!). The Saturday is usually a shorter quicker 4 mile run and the Sunday is usually longer. So today I managed to run my longest distance yet... 7 miles! Here is a screen shot of that run.

Some of you might laugh for this is not a fast pace at all, but it is not bad for a guy who just turned 46!
I am hoping to slowly be able to up the distance, I went up from 4 to 5 to 6 and to 7 miles today.

5 comments:

Anali said...

That's a cool application! Congratulations on your new milestone and belated Happy Birthday. : )

Thanks for telling me about this application. I'm not a runner, but I do walk and have been looking for a way to track my miles. I checked and there is a mapmywalk website, which I'm going to join. Thanks for the info!

Lotus Reads said...

Woo hoo, you're such an inspiration Sanjay...you make me want to challenge myself too! Guess I will have to start by using my poor, neglected threadmill at home ..I'm much too much of a wuss to brave the cold outdoors!

Congrats on both your milestones and thanks for sharing! :)

Sanjay said...

Hey Anali. Thanks for both the best wishes!
I am glad that you could find something that helps you track how many miles you ran.

Sanjay said...

Lotus, How are you? Thank you for stopping by and for your best wishes and for saying I can be an inspiration. If I can get anyone to exercise, that is a plus I guess.
I suppose it gets hard to work out with holidays around, perhaps you can start soon after?
Thank you for the congratulations!

starry nights said...

Congrats Sanjay.that is really cool how you can track your run.I cannot run yet so may want to track my walk.good for you.keep running.thanks for sharing the site.